Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day all,

yesterday, I tried to reprogram a set of remote keyless controlers via the OBD-2 port, and the truck didn't respond.

I hooked my laptop to the port, and found that the scanner couldn't communicate with the ECM.

I have met this problem of communication with few trucks. Sometimes it was just because a fuse was blown, but sometimes, all fuses are OK and I still can't communicate with the ECM.
This is not easy for diagnosing :(

Does it ring a bell to one of you guys?

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I think the ABS computer runs on the same com line so it can screw things up. Easy enough to try, just unhook the ABS unit.

I had it happen on a truck where I swapped the ABS unit. Everything worked fine just could not connect with a scan tool. Must be different address or something for different years.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,829 Posts
Fuse?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuses are OK.

ABS light is ON, I will disconnect the ABS unit and give a shot. The guy will be back thursday or friday, I will keep you updated

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuses are OK.

ABS light is ON, I will disconnect the ABS unit and give a shot. The guy will be back thursday or friday, I will keep you updated
I have a truck with similar problems I’m looking at right. Where you able to figure it out?

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
That's a real old post.... Just start a new thread and list what year vehicle you have.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Don't you hate it when you see a thread that sounds like something you have an answer for and click on it and find out that you were already involved, it was just so long ago you forgot?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't you hate it when you see a thread that sounds like something you have an answer for and click on it and find out that you were already involved, it was just so long ago you forgot?
Yes i do. Most of the time its from and a day or 2 before hand and I forget about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes i do. Most of the time its from and a day or 2 before hand and I forget about it.

Lol x2!

Well, in an effort to add something worthwhile to this resurrection, I'll just pipe up here to mention that after spending literally hours punching the "connect to truck" button on my laptop and having it fail upwards of 50x before finally connecting (if I didn't give up first), I finally talked with the vendor of the ALDL cable that I bought, and was informed that simply squeezing the chip/jumper housing at the USB connector will sometimes solve the problem, I found that this allowed the connection to work on the first attempt. Only problem is, who wants to pinch the damn USB connector for an hour while troubleshooting? And the vendor wasn't enthusiastic about sending a replacement since it had taken me a year to track down the source of the problem since buying the damn cable.

So... pinch and hold the USB connector housing while trying to connect and see if that helps at all.

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts