Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out about this thanks to KevinL.

http://www.scangauge.com/

I want to buy one cuz I dont have a DIC. :eek:

Anyway, before I take the plunge, was wondering if anyone knows of anything bigger/better/faster/cheaper/easier or whatever that I should look at first. A Canadian supplier is a major plus. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
For a truck without a DIC it looks pretty handy.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i've got the generation 1 scangauge(larger brown box) it's a nice thing to have when you need a cross between multiple vehicles. The dashhawk looks really nice as well, but I couldn't find a price. BTW if you can find an older scanguage they went for around $125, but aren't quite as pretty.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DEWFPO;1576564; said:
There's also this option : http://www.dashhawk.com/

DEWFPO
The Dashhawk looks like a really neat unit, but it only works for GM vehichles 2003 and up, and only works for GM diesels for 06-07. Sorry Newfydad.

Looks strikingly similar to the Edge Attitude doesn't it?

I have an '02 so DIC information struck my curiosity as well. I'm really wondering how the scangauge provides fuel economy stats and such as I don't think that information would be available on pre 03 Duramaxes.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have the scanguage II and it does everything it claims. If you don't have the steering wheel controls, it will give you most of the engine/fuel info you would get with the controls. It is easier to use IMHO, also give you boost, Intake air temp, coolant temp, %load, fuel gph etc.... and reads codes.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have the steering wheel controls but hopefully ScangaugeII will provide enough info and entertainment to justify the cost. I read about Dashhawk. Not applicable. Still twiddling thumbs, waiting for SG II to arrive......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just installed the scangauge II and it seems to operate as advertised. I purchased it to monitor engine coolant temp since my edge attitude can not for the 01 model. It connects to the OBDII port and does provide a nice range of engine and trip information. It does provide instant and average MPG but I’m a little skeptical about the accuracy since even the OEM DIC can’t give an accurate reading.

The one funny thing, and it may be just a coincidence, is that after I installed the scangauge my volt meter went goofy. While the engine is off it reads 14v and goes to over 16v while driving. The scangauge reads 12.5 resting and 14.6 driving, which is normal. I haven’t pulled the scangauge yet to see if that clears the problem.

Steven

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
StevenE;1596636; said:
I just installed the scangauge II and it seems to operate as advertised. I purchased it to monitor engine coolant temp since my edge attitude can not for the 01 model. It connects to the OBDII port and does provide a nice range of engine and trip information. It does provide instant and average MPG but I’m a little skeptical about the accuracy since even the OEM DIC can’t give an accurate reading.

The one funny thing, and it may be just a coincidence, is that after I installed the scangauge my volt meter went goofy. While the engine is off it reads 14v and goes to over 16v while driving. The scangauge reads 12.5 resting and 14.6 driving, which is normal. I haven’t pulled the scangauge yet to see if that clears the problem.

Steven
the scanguage has a calibration sequence for mileage, so it can be adjusted for programmers. Basically, fill the tank to the top, reset the scanguage, run to empty, fill to top, and use the "fillup" option on the scanguage to enter the amount of fuel used. I have found it to be pretty darn accurate.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ditto for me, once you get the Scan Gauge II calibrated it works great and is pretty darned accurate. No complaints.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hmmm.

Thinking of picking up a code reader when I read this thread. Is there anything a cheap code-reader will do that this won't? And will it show the info the the Attitude won't for an 01?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tacklewasher,

Yes, the scangauge does show those items that the edge either can not or does not. I'm pretty happy with mine. I have not calibrated the tank/fuel yet so the mpg is still off.

Steven

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The '01 and '02 should be the same.

My Scangauge has been installed in my '02 for just a short time. I havent used enough fuel yet to be able to calibrate it. When properly calibrated it can display:
- Intake air temperature
- Coolant temperature
- Fuel consumption rate gal/hour
- Percent engine loading
- Miles/gal
- Speed
- RPM
- Manifold Absolute Pressure
- Battery Voltage
- DTC codes set (it will clear codes and turn off CEL)

For a trip it displays:
- Maximum Speed
- Maximum Coolant temperature
- Maximum RPM
- Average speed
- Average mpg
- Trip miles
- Trip elapsed time
- Trip fuel used

For a tank of fuel it displays:
- Fuel used since last fill
- Fuel remaining
- Distance driven since last fill
- Distance remaining before tank empty
- Time driven since last fill
- Time remaining before tank empty

Units can be metric or imperial ( i.e. miles or kilometers)
7 different dimmable backlight colors or customize your own backlight color
Turns on and shuts off automatically with ignition
All data is obtained from OBD II connector (no other connections)
Can be calibrated to compensate for oversize tires/gears
Comes with 6' (too long) cable
Velcro strips for mounting (move between vehicles)
They say it works for Diesel, Gas, Hybrid and Propane vehicles

In some vehicles but NOT mine it will also display:
- Fuel pressure
- Ignition timing advance
- Percentage throttle position

Also "Up to 10 commands can be generated, edited, saved and sent to the vehicle computer. This allows for future codes and some special commands to be added by the user".
I have not read about or tried any of that stuff yet.

I think that pretty much covers it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts