Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dropped of my van at the dealer for some problems.
thread here:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200952

quote from that thread:
so i dropped off the van at the dealer last wed.
i told them to also check why i was still getting egr codes. they had previously done an egr relearn, which didnt work.

they said i need a new fuel operated heater, new egr valve, new egr pcm, and a new mass airflow sensor that all of a sudden went bad just after they scanned the ecm. they said it started running rough. they are having a hard time finding a mass airflow sensor(1 week wait??).
service guy said we'll get it back to you running. i said "running? you mean fixed?" he kept saying we'll get the parts to get it running.
he said that next time gm probably wont warranty my van cause i have the scangauge on my van, and that i kept reseting the cel light and i caused additional damage.
yes i kept getting a egr code P0403. i took it once before, and they did a egr relearn flash. i didnt work, and my van kept getting the egr code. once in a while i would reset it to see if it would stay off, but it was pointless since it would come back on. it took me a while to get my van back to the dealer, since i needed it a lot.
so did i damage my van by not going to the dealer sooner??

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I can see being denied because you reset the cel a bunch of times (and maybe told them as much?). I've gone to the dealer for warranty work on a couple of occasions with my scangauge hooked up, once with a lopey idle. They were nice enough to plug my scangauge back in once they had re-flashed it. The scangauge by itself is no reason that the dealer should deny warranty coverage. It does not modify anything.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
x2..I wonder if the thinking was that because he waited to long(in their mind!!) it caused more damage, requiring more parts, but thats a weak point to argue about imo....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the wierd thing is that all of the sudden, the mass airflow sensor went bad when they started looking at it, and it started idling rough. they were suspicious that i did something. my van never ran rough before. it always ran good. the only thing was my mileage was bad for a long while. it could of been cause of the egr thing.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
they are reaching. they would have to prove that the scanguage caused the failure in order to remove it from warranty.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Clearing the CEL will not harm the PCM, the dealers do this all the time. You can drive around with the scangauge plugged in just like they can drive around with the Tech-2 plugged in, it is only reading the PCM not modifying it. They can try and say that damage was done by driving it with a bag EGR but like said above, they are reaching for an excuse. That would be basically saying that once you have a CEL then you have to immediatly pull over, shut it off and have it towed to the dealer. All the dealerships i worked at always told the customer that if it doesnt have a drivability concern then drive it until an appt. can be made or at least drive it in so it wouldnt have to be towed. Now i do have a ?? for someone with more knowledge than I, since when does an EGR valve have its own PCM? Its been 5 years since i was at the GM dealer but i done recall GM having an EGR PCM, sounds fishy!

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
their just trying to scare you,stand up for your rights,ask for the service manager,or call the owner of the dealer and just let him know you are taking your service and buying needs to another dealer

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The owner of the machine does have a responsibilty to gm to bring a concern to gm's attention as soon as a problem arises, and have it adressed as soon as possible to prevent further damage and therefore futher cost, maybe thats what they are trying to say??, although poorly..

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. I would also ask for a written estimate if they are asking you to pay. Frankly, Their repair sounds a bit excessive for your p403 problem. That seems like a new egr valve and maybe a updated flash to me. I would look at each item that they say needs to be replaced.

You may also want to try another dealer. I have been surprised at how some dealers handle situations like this. In some cases, no questions asked, especially with EGR related problems since they are common.

BTW, do you have an exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In some cases, no questions asked, especially with EGR related problems since they are common.

BTW, do you have an exhaust system?
everything is stock.

and i mentioned to the service guy about why the egr problems are common. he said this is the first time they had one. either they dont service many duramaxs, or are told to never admit a fault.
maybe i should have went to a different dealer.:(
it's suppose to be done tomorrow. we'll see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts