Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is gonna be so, so cool! :cool:

South Bend Clutch is working on a dual disc street clutch that will fit in the current SMF/DDC. I should have some pics by the end of the week and I will post them here.

These clutch plates will have a wire mesh moulded in a full ring (not buttons) of organic material. It will be a lot smoother to engage (less grabby) and I would expect a little more quite. This version is not designed for sled pullin but I am sure it will work well for street and drag racing as well as towing. This will hold more rwhp than a SDC kit.

More later, and Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thats good news, i wouldent sacrifice less holding power for less noise, but ??????

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Interesting... I have 3k+ miles, and no noises yet. When I do replace, it would be REALLY nice to have it as quiet as it is now. Though holding power would obviously trump noise level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the clutch wont be quieter because the noise that you are hearing is the center plate rattling between the two clutch disks. The only way to get rid of the noise is to strap the center plate and this will cause warpage if gotten hot enough. I talked to peter last week about it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Powerchocker strapping the center plate will not cause warpage if done correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Powerchocker strapping the center plate will not cause warpage if done correctly.

Won't strapping the floater disk spin the input shaft the same speed as the engine? Arent the surfaces touching going to cause them to spin at the same time? Just asking not really sure.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Powerchoker strapping the floater does just the opposite. It hold the floater true and still for a cleaner quieter disengagement. As the pressure plate is disengaged the floater pulls away from the first disc if it's shimmed off the flywheel correctly holding it still and true opposed to bouncing back and forth or dragging on one or both discs with a non strapped floater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts