Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Deadeye, I finally :grd: . We successfully got the new SBC with SMF and DDC in. No problem with the installation at all........other than getting the old DMF off. The allen head bolts were extremely over-torqued, and it took a 6ft cheater bar to break them loose. I was glad I had a mechanic doing it, with all the necessary stuff.

The report: When I got in to back the truck up........I actually was not even thinking about the new clutch. Even though I let it out as normal, there was absolutely not problem....a slight more lurch than normal, but that was my fault, for useing the same old pedal reflex as in the past. By the time I drove it the 5 miles home.....I felt 'at home' with the slightly new feel of the clutch.

When pressing the clutch in, it feels only slightly different from the old.....a little bit firmer, but not much. Maybe 10% harder.......maybe. When the pedal is all the way down, it feels slightly different from stock.......kinda like it bottoms out a hair sooner. There is kind of a "swish" noise from the bottom to about 1/3 out........no big deal. When it is in neutral with the clutch out, there is a slight 'rattle noise'......again.....no big deal.

The noises ARE MUCH LESS than I expected. The pedal is MUCH EASIER than I expected. I am much more pleased than I expected to be with the initial need to adjust to the new clutch.

After I get a couple hundred mile on it (tomorrow), I will crank the J/A up and see how she holds. Then later I will hook some real weight to it for towing. I will report back later:D

OK John........was that a good post.............now send me that 10% discount........:joke: ..........EVERYTHING I posted is completely true.:D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Otis;

everything but the 10% was true! ):h

Thanks for making a post. It is great to have an independent opinion available for other handshakers wondering about the results.

As a note, Otis does some heavy haulin' and his dual disc with ceramic buttons will work great for him.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Otis;

everything but the 10% was true! ):h

Thanks for making a post. It is great to have an independent opinion available for other handshakers wondering about the results.

As a note, Otis does some heavy haulin' and his dual disc with ceramic buttons will work great for him.
That is what I meant.):h

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Otis, did you ever get rattle when going WOT? Does this cure it?

How much did the shop charge you for the install?

tx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the post Otis! Glad to hear it went so well...yep those bolts are real pain in the ARSE!! I am sure you will enjoy the results when you turn up the juice!

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Otis, did you ever get rattle when going WOT? Does this cure it?

How much did the shop charge you for the install?

tx
I never did notice a rattle in the old clutch, accept when pressing the pedal in.

I had the extended 100K miles warranty. At 97K miles I changed the clutch. The warranty took care of everything except the clutch itself, i.e, the cost of the OEM DMF, pressure plate, all bearings, gaskets, and labor. It did not even see the bill. I paid the $1800(plus shipping) for the complete SBC, then reimbursed for price of OEM DMF and pressure plate. When all is said and done, I figure it probably cost me about 1K.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post Otis! Glad to hear it went so well...yep those bolts are real pain in the ARSE!! I am sure you will enjoy the results when you turn up the juice!
Coming home tonight.........I had about 250 miles on it. I clicked up from 0 to 3. Went through the gears.......all is well. Stopped at sign, clicked her up to 5.......125 hp.......went thru gears....pegged out the boost......clutch holding perfectly:D No hard pedal, nor sticking to the floor:D :D

Earlier tonight, when taking off from an uphill position, I did notice a slight shudder......or grabby feel. No big deal, and much preferred to all the problems associated with the OEM.

The best thing to remember. This sucker holds...........and holds.........and holds.........without any problems!

I should be able to do some towing later (on setting 5):h ) and report back.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I never did notice a rattle in the old clutch, accept when pressing the pedal in.

I had the extended 100K miles warranty. At 97K miles I changed the clutch. The warranty took care of everything except the clutch itself, i.e, the cost of the OEM DMF, pressure plate, all bearings, gaskets, and labor. It did not even see the bill. I paid the $1800(plus shipping) for the complete SBC, then reimbursed for price of OEM DMF and pressure plate. When all is said and done, I figure it probably cost me about 1K.
Wow. Did it take some sweet talking to get the dship to install it?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After having a little more time to pay close attention to minor detail, I have some minor updates. It seems a little more grabby than first day(none then). Outside the truck, or with windows down, the noises are more noticeable............inside it is not as noticeable. Like 05 LLY said, the sounds probably won't be going away. That is OK, because the clutch works as it should, even under extra HP and load.

If the clutch is released in the same manner as the OEM, it sometimes gives a slight shudder if taking off in 2nd gear. If you give it a little accelerator in release the pedal quicker, it is not noticeable.

Today, while running the J/A on level 3 and level 5 for a while.........I would have the old thought of my clutch being hard or sticking to the floor. It was very pleasing after pressing it to the floor to find that it worked perfectly. I could smile to myself, because it was just an OLD, BAD Memory.):h

Naturally, I would prefer a perfectly quite, totally smooth clutch, that would hold up under HP and load. Since that ain't going to happen............I much prefer a good strong clutch............that works as it should.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Very well said!

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
No. The dealer is 40 miles south of me. A local automotive repairs shop did it.
Oh, so you had a 3rd party ext warranty that hires out their own repair shop?

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, so you had a 3rd party ext warranty that hires out their own repair shop?
It could do done at any shop that I wanted to use.....including dealerships...as long as they accept the insurance......I think it was LDS.

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hooked to my dump trailer today, just to move it......but decided while hooked up to go ahead and try the new clutch out, with the J/A, and a load.

It has been a long time.....but if I recall....>=more than.........<=less than?
Weight verified on scales: P/U.....>7800#
trlr.....<10,000#
total......>17,500#
Although the trailer was emtpy, and weighted less than 10K, it is normally a handfull to pull(stock), due to wind resistance. It is 8 1/2' X 20' with 6' sides, that are about 9 1/2' above ground level in the front.

Originally, With stock HP is was tough to get above 70----75 max. Today, With the J/A I got up to 80 with ease....then backed down. I ran the J/A from the 40HP setting up to the 125HP setting. NEVER was there a problem with the SBC. No hardness, nor slippage):h It is good, to have a clutch that does what it is suppose to do......and more. I can live with the noise.:D

Under additional HP the EGT really jump up in a hurry. Level 1,2,....OK. Level 3...borderline. Level 4, 5.........you have to watch it. Also the boost, spins up in a hurry. How much boost is too much?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Nice!!!
I believe that 32+ is playing with fire on a stock lb7 turbo!!!!

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice!!!
I believe that 32+ is playing with fire on a stock lb7 turbo!!!!
So........you think that 26-30 range is safe? Is there any kinda of 'standard' set by experienced people?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Juice are you out there???? :hail: ):h :p:

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The past couple of days I have noticed a slight 'chirp' noise sometimes. It seems that I normally hear it when CASUALLY shifting from 4th to 5th gear or down shifting from 6th to 5th. If I shift under POWER it does not occur.....only when shifting easily. No slipping......just a little 'chirp'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts