Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am heading down to the dealership this Friday and finally will get to order the Duramax now that the LLY is available. I am set on just about everything I want or need but still have some indecision concerning the SB vs LB. We will be getting a 2500 CC 4x4. We pull a 31 ft trailer and I like the idea of having the 34 gallon fuel tank as opposed to the 26 gallon one on the SB. This truck will be a daily driver, mostly highway. Any pros or cons for either box? Tough to navigate?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd say get the longbed, if you're pretty much going to use it as a hauler, and won't be worried about parallel parking...

You could also get an aux tank, but with a 5th wheel hitch, I'd get (and got) a long bed.

My wife drives my crew cab long box a lot, and has never complained about it's ability to turn corners or park.

Plus, I can fit a 4 wheeler in the back with my tool box too.

I love my long bed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use my truck for work and kick myself everyday for not getting the long bed. Once you put a truck box in a short bed they're useless. Unlike conradv I cannot fit my quad in my truck without removing my toolbox and even then I can barely shut the tailgate.

·
Registered
276 Posts
SonnyBear said:
.... some indecision concerning the SB vs LB. We will be getting a 2500 CC 4x4. We pull a 31 ft trailer and I like the idea of having the 34 gallon fuel tank as opposed to the 26 gallon one on the SB. This truck will be a daily driver, mostly highway. Any pros or cons for either box? Tough to navigate?

Sonnybear,

You didn't say if your trailer is a 5'er or pull type.

I have a short box, and I can't imagine a LONG box CREW cab. I know that people have them, but that is one long truck!!

Just be aware that there are 5'er options that make a SB a very viable solution. I have the PullRite Superglide, and quite frankly, it's the best fifth wheel hitch I've ever used, bar none, and I NEVER worry about my camper hitting my truck. I hook and forget it.

One reason that I can see to get a LB is for the fuel tank (like you mentioned), BUT really it's not that big of a deal with the SB, you just stop a little more often. Not really a biggie. As was also mentioned you could get a transfer type tank that would allow you to hual more fuel, and still be able to have a fifth wheel if needed. Also, if you have something that you regularly haul in the LB that would warrant getting one, that might be a reason as well. Otherwise, I don't know if the LB is really worth it.

Just my $.02 worth...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i had a shortbed 99 C/K.... i have since grown older and wiser... but not that old or that wise..... a shortbed truck is for someone who needs a truck 10-20% and a SUV 80-90% long bed exact opposite... i drive all over town in a crew dually.... never any parking problems.... your gonna want to park any 40-50k$ truck as far from everyone else as possible..... you may want to consider if your trailer is a 5er are there any cab clearance issues?? if its not do you plan on getting one in the future?? there are tons of arguements either way... its mostly personal preference..... since its a 2500 it will never look as good as a dooley...... but for looks the shorty does look cool in a SRW the long looks.... well really long.... needs the dooley fenders to break it up....

·
Registered
157 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the LB reduces the tow capacity a little bit as well, probably due to added weight of the longer frame and sheetmetal.

I'm a SB guy myself. The extra 18 inches on the wheelbase of the LB just makes it too dang long in urban areas. I'll just go with the Superglide when I get my 5'er. I have a trailer for my quad, and it'll still fit in the bed of my truck if need be anyway. With all that room under the back seats, I don't need a toolbox...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Loooooooooooooooooooong Bed with 4 tires in back only way

Geno

·
Registered
322 Posts
I like the CC LB because it's a superior tow rig. Longer wheelbase = more stability, the tail can't wag the dog as easily. And you get a little better ride with a long wheelbase.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wait a minute. Duh. The Crew Cab LB 2500 was discontinued, wasn't it? I didn't think you could order it anymore, at least here in California.

Don't remember where I saw that, very likely I am wrong.

Edit: Looks like if this is the case, it WAS CA only. I can tell you that I didn't see ANY on the lots around here a month ago. I did go to the Chevy Website and was able to build LB Crew Cab, so looks like if they ever were unavailable, they are available again now.Edited by: Mjollnir

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I insisted on a LB, so I settled for a extended cab, instead of a crewcab. I too pull a 31 foot 5ver, and wasn't sure how unmanuverable a LB Crewcab would be backing the trailer. Either would have fit into my garage, so that wasn't an issue. I have a 24 inch Hiway Products tool chest for storage, and can still load my 4-wheeler. Don't need to ever slide my 5th plate back when parking trailer. I think the 34 gallon tank is a BIG plus, (80 extra miles between fills when pullin, about 1 hours worth of driving). Manuverability when unloaded was never an issue for me. I think a LB looks great. If I could have bought a 10 foot box with the 24 inch tool chest, I'd a bought it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you have a SB truck and your trailer has an extended hitch pin (which 99% of late models do) then you won't have to worry about a expensive auto sliding hitch. Save your money and get a conventional slider just in case. The only time I ever had to slide the hitch is when I made a wrong turn down a dead end road and had to turn around. With the Reese slid back I could go over 90*. Never, even once, in all the trailer parks I've been in have I had to even worry about clearance while backing. You can't turn sharp enough while going forward to make the 5er hit the truck. Short bed fits in a garage or carport better, easier to manuver in town, better offroad (if you care), looks better (preference), smaller fuel tank
and does not have as much room in the bed (good sometimes, sucks others). It's all in what you need.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry, forgot to say with crew cabs. LB with CC. Right. Thanks. :)

I'm editing my other post...Edited by: Mjollnir

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like my old daddy said, a short bed truck is like a short "thangy." It's ok around home but you wouldn't want to take it on the road.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies so far. I should of mentioned that I tow a travel trailer. Never know, might buy a 5'er one day. Dealer says I can try both on Friday before I sign the order. Lookwise, I think they both look good. Probably will drive 'em both and see if the ride is indeed different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO - I'll never get anything other than a long bed. If you're going to use the bed of the truck for hauling anything, don't "short" yourself. I know quite few people that regret one of two things about these trucks: 1)Getting an extended cab rather than a crew cab, and 2) Getting a short bed rather than a long bed.

I pretty sure a long bed will get you better money resale or trade in.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
As my sig shows, and will be sitting in my driveway in a couple of weeks, CC LB is the way to go. I insisted on the Longbed for hauling and trailer stability and my wife insisted on the Crew Cab for the Kids, (Daughter and Dog). So, we compromised.
Edited by: DavesDmax

·
Registered
238 Posts
Get the long bed. I went from a short bed single wheel to a long box, crew cab dually this time. There is a HUGE difference in stability and drivability with the 30 foot 5vr that I pull. I also drive the truck everyday, and have no issues with it in town.

Jess

1 - 20 of 38 Posts