Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in the DMax they put in the Savana and what they put in the 2500 or 3500 other than horsepower? Reason I'm asking is I am wanting to put a DMax in a motorhome and the space is pretty tight. Looks like the DMax in the Savana is configured differently, fuel filter is on the chassis and the horsepower isn't as high, only 250 I think. My main concern is if this engine can be modified to handle a 16,000-18,000 pound motorhome. I have alot of other questions but I'll ask those later. Any help would be much appreciated. Here is a link to some pics of the engine on ebay, it is out of an '06 so I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-6L-DURAMAX-TURBO-DIESEL-ENGINE-TRANS-GM-H1-H2-HUMMER_W0QQitemZ8031233340QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think its detuned through programming for the 4l80e, but if you want it to be able to handle that weight, i would "tune" it back, and throw an allison behind it. But then again you said your saving space, can your motorhome handle the height of the allison? I doubt there is any other changes except for the noticable changes of physical items...

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
its technically a 2006 detuned LLY. So it has the new Bosch ECM and all that jazz.

Did you ever consider a motorhome based on a Kodiak chassis? They sell lots of those with the Duramax/Allison.

btw welcome to the diesel place!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Did you ever consider a motorhome based on a Kodiak chassis? They sell lots of those with the Duramax/Allison.
Even the MD trucks are getting the 300hp '06 LLY. Only the 2500/3500are getting the LBZ.

Still... a tuner can get the '06 LLY up there.... $400 for 350hp to the wheels, as long as the tranny can handle it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Can the 4l80 if built up take the power of a tuned Duramax? I am going to have to get a van, and don't want to go the gas route, but don't want a slowass 250hp pig.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Can the 4l80 if built up take the power of a tuned Duramax? I am going to have to get a van, and don't want to go the gas route, but don't want a slowass 250hp pig.
Best to ask Mike L or Kennedy.
The problem is with the torque output at low RPM... that's what trashes clutches. We used to put 400+ through stock TH400s all the time on gassers, but they didn't put out 700ft/lbs at 2000 rpm either.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Even w/ the lower hp the torque is still up there and that's what gets u moving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should give a little more info. Here is a pic of the motorhome I am wanting to put the dmax in, it is built on a P30 chassis and currently has a not so good 454. I think I can change out the tranny no problem, the biggest problem is the tight space under the doghouse cover.

1985_345_D01.jpg

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
i dont get why they get less power for a bigger rig dont make sense to me
because an engine thats 360hp and rated for MEDIUM duty would have to be like 8.0+ liters in size. Theres no way to get a reliable 6.6 engine thats rated for medium duty that prduces 360hp. Thats why when the Cummins ISB (5.9 liter) goes into medium duty trucks, its teh same engine as in Dodge pikcups, but detuned to like 260hp IIRC. Also they are derated for cooling concerns.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
100% DtM....
Medium duty trucks have as much in common with OTR big rigs as they do with our "HD" pickups. OTR trucks may go a million miles between major overhauls, and they don't get that kind of reliability and durability by pushing fuel levels and timing to get HP numbers approaching 1hp/cubic inch.

While more true for gassers than oil burners, the old adage is "There are only so many HP/Hours in an engine".

MD trucks are being bought by companies who frankly don't give a rat's behind about performance. They want something that'll get the job done safely and give them 300,000 or more service miles without serious down-time.
Down time costs the company, both in repairs and in lost utility of the vehicle that's broken. These are major investments and if they don't pay off, the company will not continue to invest with an unreliable performer.

That's not to say the LBZ is not reliable, but a 250hp LLY (LLZ? ;) ) is going to outlast an LBZ in comparable service if that service includes daily hauling of 30k loads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So from reading everyone's post the engine is not different and I can boost the hp, if needed with a chip. I can use either tranny, 4l80e or the allison, with the allison being a better choice. Thanks for the help.

Brian

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I would not boost power with the 4l80e
:badidea:

A 4L80-E will not even like the stock power levels of a stock LB7 Dmax (300hp/520tq), much less a chipped one!:eek:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
100% DtM....
Medium duty trucks have as much in common with OTR big rigs as they do with our "HD" pickups. OTR trucks may go a million miles between major overhauls, and they don't get that kind of reliability and durability by pushing fuel levels and timing to get HP numbers approaching 1hp/cubic inch.

While more true for gassers than oil burners, the old adage is "There are only so many HP/Hours in an engine".

MD trucks are being bought by companies who frankly don't give a rat's behind about performance. They want something that'll get the job done safely and give them 300,000 or more service miles without serious down-time.
Down time costs the company, both in repairs and in lost utility of the vehicle that's broken. These are major investments and if they don't pay off, the company will not continue to invest with an unreliable performer.

That's not to say the LBZ is not reliable, but a 250hp LLY (LLZ? ;) ) is going to outlast an LBZ in comparable service if that service includes daily hauling of 30k loads.
oh i see because i have been wondering about why they get less power for a while, because a mag had a comperison of the 4500 and a 3500 or 2500 cant remember which one and the 4500 was beat in almost everything but the towing part of the comperison.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
also the 4500 weighs like 4000 more pounds when empty...im surprised they even tried to compare the 2500/3500 to the 4500. They are completely different trucks for completely different markets. apples to oranges...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
also the 4500 weighs like 4000 more pounds when empty...im surprised they even tried to compare the 2500/3500 to the 4500. They are completely different trucks for completely different markets. apples to oranges...
it was more of a comparison or specs of the 2 more than anything, but i thought that the bigger truck would have got more power, but i now see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
im surprised they even tried to compare the 2500/3500 to the 4500.
Since when did a magazine ever do anything that made sense?
Do a quick search for the thread I started about not renewing FourWheeler
"Hey guys, let's do a truck shoot-out between a '76 Chevy LUV and an F350 Dually!" :)

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I would also check your axle ratio--that 454 could rev app. twice that of the DM. Good luck--that's a beautiful coach--always wanted to get that style instead of the 2 24'er RV trailers we had but EX had other bright ideas.Boy ,am I glad she's gone--still blames me for giving her fibermyalgia from pulling the trailer up in the mountains out west with all the switchbacks.I should have had her door rigged so it would open when she was on the drop-off side with no guard rails.Our kids might have noticed though.:muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts