Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy in the local paper is "parting out" a 1979 F250 4wd....This is the axle I would want correct? What's a reasonable price for the front axle and is there anything major I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
Yeah,78/79 are the correct pad width. It may be a D44 or a D60 depending weather it has the Snow Plow package. The D44 will work if you're staying with 37"s or smalled and gas power. If you had a diesel I wouldn't even consider a D44.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
01Duramax6spd;1580102; said:
Yeah,78/79 are the correct pad width. It may be a D44 or a D60 depending weather it has the Snow Plow package. The D44 will work if you're staying with 37"s or smalled and gas power. If you had a diesel I wouldn't even consider a D44.
Great. I can spot the difference between the 44 and the 60 so that's no problem. I'd like to stay as low as possible and still install the solid axle. How about hub pattern? Will chevy outers bolt up?

·
Registered
443 Posts
The bolt pattern on that axle is 8x6.5, same that all HD's have. The going rate for a 44 out of that truck is somewhere between $450-600. If its a Dana 60, your looking at $850-1000. At least thats out here in CA. :cool:

I would go through it and rebuild it while its out. Less hassle down the road. Im talking ball-joints, hub bearings, maybe even the lock-outs if they look beat. You want everything to be tight when you install it in your truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts