Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Chevyinlinesix;

"I would begin looking for states (or possibly Canada)..."

With all due respect, we don't need disgruntled repeat purchasers dumping their garbage in our fine country! Where is this purchaser's head at? First the Buick and then the motorhome...he could end up with a bridge at that rate! A fool and his money are soon parted...

The best advice is simply "caveat emptor" which is Latin for "let the buyer beware!"

Just my $0.02 worth.

mvtofino

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Chevyinlinesix;

With all due respect, we don't need disgruntled repeat purchasers dumping their garbage in our fine country! Where is this purchaser's head at? First the Buick and then the motorhome...he could end up with a bridge at that rate! A fool and his money are soon parted...

The best advice is simply "caveat emptor" which is Latin for "let the buyer beware!"

Just my $0.02 worth.

mvtofino
Maybe you should spend some time reading the thread before commenting, these were clearly two separate occasions by two completely different people.

Don't get ahead of yourself, the only reason your country in what it is is because of the USA. If it wasn't for us you would probably be speaking Spanish right now.

P.S. what about your country dumping their illegal pharmaceuticals on our FINE COUNTRY?

Sorry for the dettoure original poster, hope you sue and get everything possible! I've been looking at getting a busted up Subaru WRX to turn into a track car, buyer beware...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sad to hear about the horror stories related to copart. On the other hand Ive been buying and rebuilding vehicles from copart for over two years now as a side job. Ive rebuilt over 60 in that time. And while ive had a couple that turned out to be duds, I just end up parting them out or using the parts for another vehicle I may bid on. So, the best thing to do when dealing with copart is to see and touch the vehicle with your own two hands and know what you're looking for. I also only buy from the insurance companies that use copart as a means to sell their vehicles. The vehicles bought from an insurance company I've found to be less of a risk due to the fact they don't hide problems with the vehicles like an individual seller will.
Just another opinion guys.....:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe you should spend some time reading the thread before commenting, these were clearly two separate occasions by two completely different people.

Don't get ahead of yourself, the only reason your country in what it is is because of the USA. If it wasn't for us you would probably be speaking Spanish right now.

P.S. what about your country dumping their illegal pharmaceuticals on our FINE COUNTRY?

Sorry for the dettoure original poster, hope you sue and get everything possible! I've been looking at getting a busted up Subaru WRX to turn into a track car, buyer beware...
Apology not accepted. Why don't you two jack-ass's keep it in the bedroom, nobody here wants to hear the drama.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Hey Chevyinlinesix;

Just my $0.02 worth.

mvtofino
I am truly sorry you misunderstood my post, I was suggesting, that he can bring it to say Quebec, remove the salvage title, then bring it back to where he lives, with a clean title, repair it, and use it on the road.

I believe that was his wish in purchasing it, to buy it cheap, fix it, then have a nice motor home for less than the cost of a house :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update

What ended up happening

Well friends and fellow D/P members the power of the internet is far greater then any auction manager, I'm not really sure how but this thread caught the attention of Coparts upper management who with out a word credited DuraBurbs acct the full amount (less shipping). The car is back at our Orlando Copart (run by a friend, Mike) and its listed correctly as MECHANICAL.

http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e3s2&lotId=21708342&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

These days if your going to succeed in business you have to "do the right thing"

Sometimes its no big deal (like this) and sometimes its expensive but if you treat people fairly what goes around comes around.

To resolve this I had to go all the way to the east coast Regional Director, it should never had to go that far but some folks just wont budge. In talking to Mike at our Orlando Branch he has told me that Copart is in the midst of big changes to make itself more public friendly but not all are getting on board as quickly as others.

If you want to buy from Mikes location in Orlando or Ken Houcks location at Ft Pierce YOU WILL BE TREATED FAIR AND HONEST, as for other locations welllll all I can say as many others have also said know your auction house.

Keep in mind any who look through this thread, that this is what we typically buy and have no preconceived aspirations of said vehicles, we buy wrecked trucks and anything could be wrong, that's the acceptable risk we all take in this industry.

But if you say its a winner even if its a mistake, stand behind your word.
I read somewhere If a man doesn't stand by his word, he's no longer a man!
Good words to live by

The moral of this is if you get duped from any auction, if you go high enough someone will listen and do the right thing.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Glad to hear that they made it right.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
IAA - Insurance Auto Auction

I'm glad to hear your story had a happy ending. I purchased a forklift through Insurance Auto Auction -IAA- in Dallas, TX. I expected things to be wrong with it and purchased it because it had a Perkins Diesel and was listed as run and drive. Listed as RUN AND DRIVE, I never expected it to need an engine. I buy, rebuild, resell, and part out Dodge diesels. I have taken my licks over trucks being misrepresented, but this has put my lively hood on the brink of disaster.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=12087026&itemID=12943639&RowNumber=8#

When I actually got it here, and managed to start it after letting it eat starter fluid for about five minutes, it did finally run. It has so much blow by it would blow the oil fill cap off as soon as you tried to turn it and leave a massive puddle of oil on the ground below the blow by tube. After letting it run for fifteen minutes, I shut it off. Even with the diesel engine being hot, it did not have enough compression to restart. What makes it even worse is that IAA's check in notes say that "it will not start and will not operate", yet it was still listed as run and drive. I jumped through every hoop I could to try and return it to IAA with no luck. My rubber tire loader with forks is down with no brakes, so I needed a forklift in a bad way to fill in the gaps of servicing my big one. I had to go purchase a third lift, and with down payment and monthly payment, I am not sure how I am going to recover financially. I dealt with Joe Pagoria at the Specialty Division. He was nice enough, but at the end of the day, he still let the seller get away with defrauding me through IAA's name.

It's nice to hear that an auction did right by some one. Heck, maybe IAA will pick up this thread and do right by me.

If anyone has a Perkins 4.236, I need one in a bad way.

Best wishes!!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Good to hear the end on a positive note!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hey, I haven't seen you in a Hwhile!

jesse_boyer, if I were you, I would begin looking for states (or possibly Canada) where you can remove this title from it. I know it would involve a fair amount of expense, but maybe best way to recoup some losses.

As I said before (which someone else told me about) Do not buy anything from Copart, unless you are physically at the auction site, and are able to pickup and load the vehicle yourself that moment.

Been playing with my Wrangler a lot! Started doing a turbo swap and a trans rebuild a while back. Trying to work out all the kinks now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i bouth my truck from copart in fl i forgot which branch but when it got here on the transport truck it was missing the tranny and tcase. after a month they offered to buy it back but by that time i had already started repairing it because i thought i was s.o.l.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
OH chambersj
I'm so sorry to here about that, I know if t was Orlando (Mike Bishop) or just south at Houcks place they would have made good on it.

Did you get it all straightened out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why not a class action lawsuit?
Just reading through the first page was making me angry.

I was thinking of becoming a 'dealer' through a shop here. But I'm not looking to buy/sell more than 1 per month.

E

·
Registered
63 Posts
We have bought from copart for ten years and always inspect and bid low but we are a business. Now that it is open to the public these stories are everywhere. It does take time to learn the ropes of buying salvage vehicles and unfortunately many people learn the hard way. We actually dont buy much anymore because the public bids the prices up way to high.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
We have bought from copart for ten years and always inspect and bid low but we are a business. Now that it is open to the public these stories are everywhere. It does take time to learn the ropes of buying salvage vehicles and unfortunately many people learn the hard way. We actually dont buy much anymore because the public bids the prices up way to high.

This is off topic, but do you have any more pictures of your truck? Maybe add some to your garage because it looks killer!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have a buddy that owns a yard grab an 07 3500 Dually for me. It had slight damage, so I wasn't worried. When it got here it had an 01/02 LB7 and 5spd Trans in it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is off topic, but do you have any more pictures of your truck? Maybe add some to your garage because it looks killer!
I will try and get some on there. I raced AMA superbike for a few years and built this to pull the race trailer around the country putting 60k miles a year and it never skipped a beat! Cat/Allison power rule!

·
Registered
1 Posts
SCREWED BY COPART

People are being screwed on a daily basis. This not just happens at Copart, but also by the other large salvage auctions. It is all about keeping the insurance companies happy and all about the money. If buying online, hire an inspector to check out the vehicle. These people are listed at the major Auction sites for a fee. Also, there are some sites dedicated to checking out salvage vehicles. One I have used is wwwsalvageresearch.com
They seem to enjoy helping people uncover "fraud" vehicles at an auction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just so you know you are not an isolated case, this is a practice by the copart people . I bought a car as a run and drive only to find that it doesn't run or drive and more importantly it s a complete wreck and I am being asked to pay the cancellation fee.. I co tacted lot manager, regional manager, no conclusive answer was given. The auction was canceled and re-run as run and drive again.. I mentioned the descritpion guarantee on their website but Copart customer service keep asking me to check lot manager. Now I think I might sue them in small claims court to get my 400$ deposit back and stop them from collecting any amount.

Well any of us looking for diesel donors understand that a wrecked Duramax may come with possible issues, but this takes the cake.

COPART BUYERS BEWARE!!! I bought this for my MOM
Notice the description...........minor scratches and dents / run and drive

No mention of any mechanical and I asked the folks at the location and they said its a great car, well here is what we got for our money

The best part is we contacted this auction house instantly about this GROSS MISREPRESENTATION and the reply?!?!?

It was fine here so you must have broke it and besides "all sales final!"

Thanks Steve @ [email protected]
Chad @ [email protected]
JP @ [email protected]

IF YOU BUY A CAR FROM THESE GUYS EVEN IF THEY LIE TO YOU YOUR SCREWED!!!
DON'T BUY FROM THE ATLANTA COPART AUTO AUCTION, THEY WILL NOT BUY YOU DINNER BEFORE SCREWING YOU FOR YOUR MONEY!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts