Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well any of us looking for diesel donors understand that a wrecked Duramax may come with possible issues, but this takes the cake.

COPART BUYERS BEWARE!!! I bought this for my MOM
Notice the description...........minor scratches and dents / run and drive

No mention of any mechanical and I asked the folks at the location and they said its a great car, well here is what we got for our money

The best part is we contacted this auction house instantly about this GROSS MISREPRESENTATION and the reply?!?!?

It was fine here so you must have broke it and besides "all sales final!"

Thanks Steve @ [email protected]
Chad @ [email protected]
JP @ [email protected]

IF YOU BUY A CAR FROM THESE GUYS EVEN IF THEY LIE TO YOU YOUR SCREWED!!!
DON'T BUY FROM THE ATLANTA COPART AUTO AUCTION, THEY WILL NOT BUY YOU DINNER BEFORE SCREWING YOU FOR YOUR MONEY!

·
Registered
902 Posts
you've gotten burned before, and i'm surprised you didnt inspect or have someone else inspect the car for you.
copart is in the business of making money, even if it means lieing or whatever. and you will see junk cars going through there that wouldnt sell elsewhere.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ive delt with Copart going on three years now. The best thing you can do is inspect the vehicles with your own two eyes. They are masters of hiding things in the pictures. Ive had my share of bad buys, but the last two years have been good to me being a salvage re-builder and parts dealer. By run and drive they only have to move 5 feet forward and 5 feet back. The cars are by no means put through the paces of normal every day driving. Like turboawd said they are in the business of making money...plain and simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You obviously havent been around copart or any other salvage auctions too long. Never take a "run and drive" seriously. All that means is the car will start and move back and forth under its own power. Which I'm sure your car does. Copart is the worst of them all. If you do not inspect the vehicle for yourself in person your taking the gamble of getting burned. Trust me some of the hacked up salvage jobs ive seen in person that briing $50k+ would make you feel alot better about your situation. But yes, copart is very risky and if you think they will do anything for you...you are dreaming. Unless theyre alot nicer in FL than they are in NY. You live and you learn.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds great brandenash1
I'll PM you

Yes you are all correct, this is what to expect when something is to good to be true.

I should have known better since after 5 years of buying Duramax trucks for builds at a currant rate of 50 SUV's a year I definitely should know better. Out of all the trucks I've bought over the years I'm proud to say that I've only been burned 3 times but sadly they have always been COPART buys.
Never IAAI
Never eBay
Just Copart, and who do I find a car for (of all people) my MOM at a "COPART" STUPID!

What shocks me the most is with all the money we spend with them they still told us to "go pound sand" Think if any of you who are one or two time buyers have an issue. My recommendation is stay away, go to IAAI or eBay if you need a donor.

What is really sad is that we spend 150,000 a year with COPART and yet again they tell us to go "F" ourselves over a 1700.00 car, talk about no moral standard........

You folks are right

AT COPART THEY JUST WANT TO MAKE A BUCK REGARDLESS OF WHO THEY SCREW

"BUYER BEWARE"

STAY AWAY FROM COPART, I'VE CLOSED MY ACCT OVER THIS, THEY LOST A 150k PER YEAR CUST. OVER 1700.00

Co with no values have no place in this economy

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to haul cars for a living.. I dealt with this all the time. I would pick up cars at Copart that were supposed to be ride and drive.. Sometime I would wonder if they were going to make it on the trailer. On a side note, I've hauled quite a few cars for a guy in Apopka, his name is Chuck Coulter, he owns "The Muscle car gym"

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I am sure you guys all know this, but if you read through their policies, once you win an auction, the car is YOURS and they are not responsible for it. As such, employees at, well, lets just say "some" of the Copart facilities will steal items off the vehicle. I have read about engine's missing on supposedly running cars :eek:

I feel your pain though, ANY business with half a brain would make it right for you, because as you said "we spend 150,000 a year with COPART and yet again they tell us to go "F" ourselves over a 1700.00 car" That is a lose-lose for everyone.

I had an account at Copart as well, had a $2000 deposit as I was going to buy a wrecked LMM. It sold for too much, then I read horror stories from past customers, then read closer into their policies, and immediately requested my deposit back (as they clearly state is an option). Well what a major PITA it was to get it back, I eventually did, but I will never deal with them again, unless I can physically be at the auction site, inspect the vehicle, and pick it up as soon as I have paid for it, without leaving the site.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, Mike who runs the Orlando Copart is extremely honest about representation and if there is an issue he makes good on it, to bad others dont share the Orlando branch ethics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Copart Houston wasn't any better. We bought an Avalanche and Copart insists it has a 'good' title. However, per multiple DMV's, it's not a legitimate title and cannot be titled in any other state. Apparently, TX will issue a new title but we've tried in IA and SD and neither state will issue a title.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well that is the beauty of the Internet - that outfits like these can be exposed for how they do business. I am with you 100% Eric - the best revenge is to tell as many folks as you can and hope each one passes the story on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is copart just a centralized place for small scraping yards to sell cars and parts? OR do they actually own everything and these are just chain stores out there?

I suspect they are just a centralized place to sell stuff globaly. which explains the differance outcome people are getting when they buy stuff. IF store X states it drives but it can't well I can undedstand where one store might be ok yeah we goofed and another one would be like SOL TFB as is.

All in all I wish people were honest about **** and not hide flaws in cars, Thank fully your only out 1700 on the bright side you do have 4 wheels and other stuff to show for your 1700 vs just 1700 burnt up in smoke and nothing to show, but I agree they were a little missleading in there statement.

As a side note I was at an auction a few months back and before the bidding started they said we understand you can't drive the cars on display. SO we warentee that they will go forward and back nothing more.. they even when on to say even if it can only go in 1 gear forward that is far as we warentee it... So if a car wont go in reverse or wont move forward at all we will refund your bid... We were able to start up the motors so that aspect was allready known.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
So a guy who is looking to pick up a couple extra LZB's to play with...where is the best place to start look at? I'm in central Ohio. Wow...this really makes me gun shy to buy off the net (sight unseen). My Dad told me a long time ago...If a man doesn't stand by his word, he's no longer a man!

·
Registered
275 Posts
As far as I know, all states have laws regarding disclosure of damage on used motor vehicles, and they obviously did not disclose that it had a rod knocking.
I'd sue them for every penny you have in it, shipping, repair, and all, and then add on some punitive damages. You can probably sue them where you live at, unless there is something about jurisdiction in a contract you signed.
I think it would be terrifically easy for a judge or jury to conclude that they failed to disclose, because there is no defense to that video. "Oh, I didn't know it had a rod knocking" just isn't going to fly.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother in law had something similar happen with copart in 2008, he bought a 03 or 04 mustang GT it was a theft recovery complete but with collision damage all over. copart advertised it runs and drives, he even called copart and asked them to verify it was actually runs, drives no ticks or knocks in the motor, they told him it "starts and ran smooth and quite...." he won it at $2800 he ended up paying around $3700 after all fees and shipping. the car gets to his house in forth worth texas. it clearly doesn’t run, the engine had no intake manifold, no accessories, valve covers, the heads were half way taken off, radiator was gone...

he contacted copart about it they had no intentions of reimbursing any money saying all sales are final, they gave the same response to the BBB claim, but when he filled a claim with small claims court for the full $3700, they called him the same day they got served with the papers, and said they would offer him 50%($1400) of the amount of the winning bid back and he could keep the car, he declined, and it went to small claims court and no one from copart even showed up, so he was awarded the full $3700, granted it was about 9 months later copart paid up, but he got all his money back.

i would say spend the ~$50 to file with small claims court, i think a company like copart would have better things to do than go to court for a $1700 car. Even if they do with the print out of the description and the video any judge would say it is a grey area of yes the car runs and drives, but defiantly not in a running and drivable condition with only minor dints scratches that copart leads you to believe, and I would be willing to be copart has no evidence the motor was not knocking before they sold it. And copart’s legal department would know this the only reason they would send a representative to court would be to defend copart paying back there fees and shipping costs, which when you are talking a few hundred bucks they would most likely be paying more to have someone show up at court.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yet another deal as of this past week. We bought a $32,000+ motor-home and the Copart auction page clearly stated the vehicle had a Mighigan salvage title. However, the vehicle was apparently given a junk certificate of title in Florida.

Now we're stuck with a $32K vehicle which can never be titled...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the information. Knowing you get a car at an auction there may be some unforseen issues but this was extreme. Guess if i ever do anything like this i want videos.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the information. Knowing you get a car at an auction there may be some unforseen issues but this was extreme. Guess if i ever do anything like this i want videos.
Hey, I haven't seen you in a Hwhile!

jesse_boyer, if I were you, I would begin looking for states (or possibly Canada) where you can remove this title from it. I know it would involve a fair amount of expense, but maybe best way to recoup some losses.

As I said before (which someone else told me about) Do not buy anything from Copart, unless you are physically at the auction site, and are able to pickup and load the vehicle yourself that moment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats why you NEVER buy a car or much of anything without seeing and hearing it first.
Thats why it was at a salvage auction!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts