Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
i like seeing people take ~5 mintues to do a walk around on their rigs.

lazy and complacent get people hurt/killed.

on TT and GN dont forget to put some grease on the coupling... this will help prevent you balls to loosen and your rig to become "darty" when changeing lanes form metal on metal in the hitch coupling.

when i was driving/hauling stuff i have a little IR tmep gun shoot each tire.. if there was more then 10-15* diff between side to side i start looking more closely.

crossing safety chains.. if they are not peiced togehter they will never catch and pull each other.. they alos should be strong enough to indiviually carry your tongue wieght... same with you hooks.. no point in haveing a 2000lb test chain with a 500lb hook holding it on. one should have enough chain to be able to jackknife then trailer with out pulling the chains taunght.. and stay 3-4" off the ground so they are not draging nor get dragged
I haven't heard to put grease on the coupling of a travel trailer... It certainly makes sense.

Do you just put some grease up inside the coupler on the tongue? :confused:

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
That will work, or you can put some on the ball, either way.

·
Off we go!.......
8,772 Posts
I think we should keep this from getting buried.....

·
Registered
869 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great feedback and ideas from all. Besides checking tire condition (looking for possible tread and side wall tears and deterioration), it is very important to make sure that tire pressures are up to the max tire recommendations. This is especially important with heavy loaded trailers and fifth wheel/ goose neck trailers. The only other thing I can maybe suggest is making sure that your trailer is evenly loaded and is as level as possible when properly hitched up.
Keep this going, safety is a primary concern :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great feedback and ideas from all. Besides checking tire condition (looking for possible tread and side wall tears and deterioration), it is very important to make sure that tire pressures are up to the max tire recommendations. This is especially important with heavy loaded trailers and fifth wheel/ goose neck trailers. The only other thing I can maybe suggest is making sure that your trailer is evenly loaded and is as level as possible when properly hitched up.
Keep this going, safety is a primary concern :)
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up tire pressure on the truck and trailer. I check both of these vehicles before any loading and first thing in the morning when it's cold for an accurate reading. All of the other things are very important but I feel this is very important..many people I've talked to that pull trailers more often than not answer "no" when I ask them if they check their tires prior to either loading or even leaving for the trip. I think this is even more important for the toyhaulers carrying all their toys and a full tank of water. Pre-trip walk-around is done every time and the wife stands at the back for a brake/tail light check before we pull away from the curb. I also do a trailer brake check as I pull out of my neighborhood. My .02

Reactions: Bittledick

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
X3 on the tires. The leading cause of tire failure is under inflation. If you can imagine bending a wire coat hanger back and forth until it breaks, then feel the heat you have generated. This is the same effect an under inflated tire has, the side walls flex much more and at highway speeds very rapidly, which leads to excess heat and failure.

Somebody else mention using a laser thermometer. I do this as well. Bought one for 29 bucks and almost every gas stop I zap both the tires and bearings. While perhaps a little overkill it does offer a great piece of mind and a fun toy to have for $29. Great entertainment on a long drive, ever wonder how cold it is inside your AC vents? How about the wifes beverage glass?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Somebody else mention using a laser thermometer. I do this as well. Bought one for 29 bucks and almost every gas stop I zap both the tires and bearings. While perhaps a little overkill it does offer a great piece of mind and a fun toy to have for $29. Great entertainment on a long drive, ever wonder how cold it is inside your AC vents? How about the wifes beverage glass?
yes IMO they should be mandatour isn a compatent mech tool box..

i have seen -14*f out of my AC vents on my old dmax

avg was 25-39*f

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Lots of good common sense things guys.My fiver hitch has a latch to close after hooking up that I padlock so no one can tamper with it if parked at a truck stop or rest area.

Reactions: SandMan99

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Patience

Develop a routine for hook up and disconnecting.

Tire pressure and tire inspection on regular basis. Check tire pressure cold before moving or long periods of direct sunlight.

For Fifthwheel. Verify PIN is coupled properly -visual and a pull test every time!

Don't shoot the breeze with anyone while hooking up or disconnecting -SHI* will happen and it is usually expensive.....

Reactions: steakman

·
Registered
410 Posts
get a prodigy brake controller, this is the best controller I have ever used, got to love the boost feature.

·
Registered
393 Posts
as for the comment your chain should be strong enough for the tongue weight of your trailer you are incorrect. the chain should be rated to the total weight of the trailer you are towing. why would the chain only be strong enough for the tongue weight if the hitch comes undone or gets destroyed what happens to the chains rated for the tongue weight? they
A) if it is quality transport grade chain they distort and bend once you exceed anywhere between 3-4 times the rated working load limit.
B)if it is off shore or non-transport rated grade chain it basically snaps and stretches and then sends your trailer on its way down the road to possibly hurt or kill someone.

not trying to be any sort of @$$%0!3 but this is one of my petpeeves i see thousands of people hauling anything from small utility trailers up to large TT's with using stupid carbiner clips(a little bigger then the ones off of a water bottle) or the improper type of chain and being in the towing business i know the proper way to and not to tow a trailer/vehicle it blows my mind i saw a guy towing an older TT around the 22' with a 97blazer zr2 bumper on the ground with a class III trailer hitch and he was using rope as a safty chain i waited till he stopped at a gas station and polietly told him he was a complete and total **** head and he had no business with being on the road driving a vehicle alone towing a trailer. its people like that they make my blood boil, i can get an insecure load ticket for a strap (the loose end about 2' of it) flapping around sorry it came loose just the least bit but seriously the guy was towing this tailer told me he didnt even have the right size ball it was 2" and he was using 1 7/8". at that point i asked him where it was going and told him he had 2 options he could have my company tow it the 50miles or i was going to flatten the tires on his trailer, i gave him an account rate on the tow and it was cheaper then the gas he would of had to pay since he was moving it to a permanent site.

thanks for letting me rant this is by no means meant to offend any body.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you see something unsafe on another person's trailer, CALL A COP. Report the violation and save a life.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great thread and good tips! I think a big one is distractions. I make a mental note of doing a perimeter check before takeoff just to be sure everything is secure and attached properly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just figured I would throw this out there. When using an IR Temp Gun if you are shooting for a reading off a polished or reflective surface you will not get anywhere near an accurate reading. Painted or dulled surfaces they work just fine. I learned this when trying to do some validation work on an induction heating and assembly process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In addition to doing the checks that have been listed I also make it a point to look under the trailer check the spring shackles and trailer undercarriage at every stop. I check to make sure the bolts that hold the springs are in place and tight, the welds holding the shackles have not failed, and nothing has come loose such as sewer piping.

No one has mentioned it, but I also use an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system on the truck and trailer. Its' not really a safety check per se, but it allows you to check all of the tire pressures at any time. It also alerts you to a 10% decrease or increase in pressure on any tire. As anyone who has towed for a long time will attest, a tire can fail on the trailer without you ever knowing until someone flags you down. Been there, done that; had to repair the damage to the trailer. Now I use the TPM.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Make sure your load is secured. A few years back, tied my car down, was on a long road trip. First stop checked it, still good. Next stop, checked it and car was against the back door of the trailer. Front straps worked loose going down I10 in Louisiana and let the car slide back. It was even in park with the e-brake on.

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
that is a good point. I do a lot of towing of boats and when doing so I strap both front and rear and position the straps so the buckle end is on the left side. That way you can easily see they come loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always gone a few miles down the road and then stop and check that the load is still tied well. Things may shift and things become lose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
when i haul cars on my trailer, i only use chains and binders. and something i have always done is get teh binders as tight as possible with a load bar and then wrap a bungee cord around the handle of the binder so that it cannot come loose. anytime i use straps for anything, whether it be on my trailer or in the back of my truck, i have the ratchet mechanism on the drivers side so i can keep an eye on it.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts