Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the more and more I read, the more I come across that the stock suspension sucks. Then those who lift their front end with the torsion bars, only makes it worse, and even more so with green keys. My question is, what kit will put all the suspension where it needs to be, for safe and proper angles to prevent from premature wear and any other negative affects. I'd like to level the truck out, maybe have the front end just a little lower, and get a few inches out of it. I don't want to go too extreme as this is my daily driver and don't want to kill my gas mileage. I would say maybe 2-4" lift while retaining a smooth and safe ride and to have proper alignment and angles in the suspension. What do you guys suggest? I plan on putting 20" wheels on the truck with 305/50/20 tires, possibly 305/55/20. Thanks!

This is for an '06 2500HD LBZ crew cab 2WD.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Rancho has a good 4" 4X4 lift. not sure for 2wd
IMHO the lift didn't affect the mpg as much as the tires. i lost maybe 1/2 mpg with the lift, but close to 1-1/2mpgs with the taller/heavier tires.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Looks like the bug bit pretty hard! :D The problem I ran into was the 6" lift was only a couple hundred more than the 4" lift... So it made more sense to me to get the 6". A 4" lift or Cognito leveling kit would look great on a 2wd though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
get some green keys and rear blocks that is the way i will go when i get my new truck

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Then those who lift their front end with the torsion bars, only makes it worse, and even more so with green keys.
This is for an '06 2500HD LBZ crew cab 2WD.
get some green keys and rear blocks that is the way i will go when i get my new truck

Read before you post ^^^^^:rolleyes:

As Reineke said... A 6" kit isnt a bunch more than a 4" so its all in what your looking for as far as what wheel combo you decide to run. Sounds like a Cognito leveling kit is what your after

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Sounds like a Cognito leveling kit is what your after
Except that, while the Cog replaces the UCA to help with the upper balljoint, it still causes the same problems on the tie rods and lower balljoints as cranking. IIRC, the Cog uses green keys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hemm what price range are we talking about for the complete kit? 4 inch lift and all.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have a Rancho 4", but my truck is a 4wd. I am happy with it. no problems and I believe it rides just a little smoother than stock. cost was around $2300 installed 2yrs/ago.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to be arrogant or anything, but why in the world would you lift a 2wd vechicle?

IMO, you should lower it if its a 2wd and raise it if its a 4wd, and keep it stock if its a work truck. lol

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wouldn't lift a 1/2 2WD truck, but being that I have a 3/4 ton heavy duty truck, I want to go up with it. I'd like to install some 20x10 wheels with a set of 305/55/20 or 305/50/20.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Hemm what price range are we talking about for the complete kit? 4 inch lift and all.
Couple of thou' for a typical 4x4 kit. Probably less for a 2wd since the front diff is not involved, but the LCAs still need to be lowered.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if indeed a 2WD lift kit is cheaper, that's better for me.

So to sum it up, I have a 2006 2500HD 2WD crew cab LBZ, I'm looking to install 20x10 rims with 305/50/20 or 305/55/20 tires. I would like to lift the truck up a few inches and get the truck level if not just a tad lower in the front. I don't want to go too extreme with the lift as this is my daily driver and I don't want to kill my gas mileage. I'm looking for a kit that will fit my needs AND put my suspension, steering, etc. where it needs to be so that I don't have any premature wear or bind. Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
WHERE does one buy green keys and blocks??? I must be looking in the wrong places. Can't seem to find any. Any help out there???

·
Registered
252 Posts
Either go to Kennedy diesel or look on ebay under suspension for chevrolet silverado. They're 55 bucks on kennedy's site and around 70 on ebay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Rancho 4" also. I have driven 30K and the previous owner drove it for around 30K and no problems really. Big tires and alignments dont mix for me though. Although my tires lasted almost 30K and they are dunlop mud rovers so I guess I cant complain to much.

dave

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Either go to Kennedy diesel or look on ebay under suspension for chevrolet silverado. They're 55 bucks on kennedy's site and around 70 on ebay.
Ditto.... I think 4wheelparts gets $100 or so for them.
They're either $50 or $55 from Eric Merchant as well.

It's actually a $17 item at the dealer (depending on which "book price" the parts guy gives you), but then you're paying local tax.
"Green Keys" are stock 1500 4x4 keys, and are painted green. Our HD stock keys are purple.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The Rancho kit works on both 2 and 4wd trucks, just leave rear alone and ease off the T bar bolts and you'll get 2.5- 3 inch lift

·
Registered
826 Posts
Lift a 2WD 2500?

No question, only 1 choice, Fabtech spindles. They give you about 3.5 inches without touching the T-bars. The truck rides like stock and can be aligned perfectly to OE specs. They make these just for the 2500 2WD.

Lifting a 2Wd is big in California.

They were about $450. Bolt in just like the stockers, an easy two hour swap. No cutting or welding.

Check out my garage, the black truck in my 2003 6.0 2WD 2500HD. It has the Fabtech spindles in the front and is stock in the rear for a slight a$$ down, pre-runner look.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Read before you post ^^^^^:rolleyes:

As Reineke said... A 6" kit isnt a bunch more than a 4" so its all in what your looking for as far as what wheel combo you decide to run. Sounds like a Cognito leveling kit is what your after
what is wrong with what i said and does the cognito leveling not do the same thing as the green key i have never checked it out so it is a question not a statment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts