Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eric,

I'm holding out for the moment, but weakening somewhat over the question of whether to chip my truck. I like the idea of more thrust, of course, but I also like the idea of a long lived and healthy drive train. Of the power boxes and programmers I've become familiar with, the California tune Juice and the Stealth tuner have the most appeal. I like the Juice's ability to ease the stress on the transmission, but it seems to suffer from hot breath, which might challenge the valves and pistons. I like the Stealth's cooler temps, but don't know whether its use of fairly advanced injection timing will have any ill effects on the ultimate durability of the engine, and, I guess, it doesn't defuel when shifting to protect the tranny. Recognizing that this Board does not have sensitive vendors lurking in the shadows, from your candid perspective as someone intimately familiar with the bowels of these marvelous trucks, do either of these or any other similar performance enhancements offer a better combination of benefits over risks of engine or transmission damage? My principle interests are long term durability while towing, more than rippling the pavement with mighty bursts of speed, well, except for on ramps ... and occasionally keeping yappy little economy trucks in their places....

Thanks,

TC

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
TC, I will answer this based on my limited knowledge of these products, other have more intimate knowledge of them and are more aware of there effectiveness. Not being a vender for any of them will leave the political aspect out of it.

I personally use the Predator, I chose it based on the fact that it would adjust tire size. The other programers that do it wernt out at the time so they were not considered. I have ridden in trucks with Van Aaken, TST, Juice, Hot Juice, Comp Hot Juice and I think a Duramaximiser. I am looking at getting more chip and I have decided on a Hot Juice with the Attitude. Edge is by far the most streetable and its programming protects the drivetrain somewhat. When customers come in to the dealer, thats usually what I rec to them as I have to becarefull with warrenty issues to a point. For the money, it seems to work very good. When towing with any box/chip/program, gauges are a must and always use the lower settings to avoid high EGT and tranny issues. Just adding around 40hp to a stock truck makes a HUGE difference in how it tows. Its hard to say what long term effects would be, but I find it to be hogwash that a Box has ever caused an engine to fail..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the info.

TC

·
Registered
340 Posts
Taylor,

Im in the same boat you are. I want some more juice but dont want to hurt my drivetrain. Thats what brought me to this site, I was just on the net doing my homework and found this forum. I cant tell you what a great help everyone on here has been!!

Ive been trying to decide between the juice and the stealth. From everything I have heard and read I think Im going with the Stealth. The biggest reasons for going with the stealth is the cooler temps and the ability to change tire size and read codes. Not to mention the easy of making it dissapear when she goes into the shop. There are a few guys in here that have tried both and will give you an honest opinion.

Let me know what you find, Im always up for ideas.

Mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mike,

Nick has a Predator and his truck makes enourmous power, but it's a bit smokey for my taste. I really like the cooler EGTs of the Stealth, but I have to admit the transmission protection of the Juice is appealing, too. Decisions, decisions. But you make a good point about the stealthiness of the Stealth ... and it's a good bit cheaper than the Juice. I'm guessing that driven reasonably in the lower tunes, the Stealth and the tranny could live long, happy lives together. I'll keep you posted as I wander through the performance maze.

TC

·
Registered
340 Posts
TC,

Yeah for your keep me posted. Ill be calling around tomorow to find the best deal and service on the stealth. Everyone I have talked to has nothing but great things to say about it! I to wish it had the communication with the trans but everyone says that it wont hurt it at, as long as its driven responsibly. Heard you can get the Stealth 135 for about 530 delivered. Not bad if you ask me!

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Heard you can get the Stealth 135 for about 530 delivered. Not bad if you ask me!

Hello all

Please drop me a note so i can read about the Stealth.. Where can we order this and get info

From steveEdited by: smartfix

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Something that is being overlooked in this discussion is that the Edge "Juice" allows the Normal transmission setting and the T/H setting to be set with two entirely different levels.

I am not promoting one over the other as I have 3 different tuners/boxes for my truck I am also looking at getting a Quad Stealth as well

This may or may not have been known .

This offers a way to put power out when needed but run stock most of the time by choosing levels.

I personally run my truck in the 90HP/250TQ program in Normal and the 125HP/300TQ which is actuall 137Hp in the T/H setting.

The Juice is the only product I know of that actively watches for tranny slip and adjusts accordingly as well.

GMC

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Van Aaken smart box E also monitors transmission slippage and back the power down if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts