Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sticking injector is me dealer's diagnosis. They claim the injectors are on national backorder. Is it still save to drive it until they get it in, or am I doing more harm?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another post here stated that a national back order meant that the injector{s} were shipped direct from factory to dealer, or maybe it was GM to dealer, not that they were unavailable.

No way would I drive the truck with a stuck injector, whether it's stuck closed or open. Either way you are, IMHO< asking for more problems. Diesel fuel isn't a very good lubricant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does a "stuck injector" mean it is pooring in way too much fuel, or does it mean it is definitely pouring fuel into the oil? I am a little confused.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
juicemac78 said:
A sticking injector is me dealer's diagnosis. They claim the injectors are on national backorder. Is it still save to drive it until they get it in, or am I doing more harm?

Thanks,

Justin
How did they or you come to the conclusion it was a sticking injector ??

Mac

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am really not sure. I think they are just going by what the Tech2 says, but I don't trust my dealership at all. Who knows really what they did. They first tried to make me pay for a fuel injector flush!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service manager said he would just call me when it came in. He never said anything about not driving it! I don't think they have a clue, but I don't know of anywhere else to go around KY or TN.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If the injector is sticking, do not drive the vehicle. (At least I would not if it was my vehicle.) If the injector is indeed sticking, you could fill you crankcase with diesel fuel or worse yet burn a hole in the piston (ask SoCalDMAX about stuck injectors).Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I know for sure this is the case? Are there any "for sure" symtoms?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I would PM either GMCSID or Dmaxallitech and ask for their opinions.

If the injector is stuck partially open, the combustion process is no longer under control. I would expect to hear a knocking noise and excess smoke coming from the vehicle. But I am not a diesel tech....

Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
When my crankcase filled with fuel. I took it straight in to the dealer. The first thing they said was that they "would not be able to work on it until next week". My responce was "So your telling me that I can drive it around like that?". Suddenly they found an open bay and were able to determine that it was not an oil leak "from a loose fitting". They keeped the truck and gave me a rental until it was fixed.

Are you still under warrenty?

What does the Service invoice say?

I would get it in writing (on the service invoice) if they told me it was ok to drive and then start ringing some phones at GM.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They never did give me an invoice or anything. I have 44k miles. It is under the Powertrain warranty only. Should a rental be covered under this or not? I don't think my service managers are that bright!

Justin

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I would get a second opion.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
They should have given you a work order/service invoice. At a minimum it should state what your complaint is. Once they determine what the problem is they will give you another one that say's what they are going to do or have done.

Why did you take it into the dealer in the first place?

I'm not sure if the power train warrenty will cover "courtesy transportation"
or not. My truck only had 884 miles on it when I took it in.

You can take it into any GMC dealer. You don't have to take it back to the one that sold it to you.Edited by: WanaDmxsub

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
do not drive if it is leaking.. you can not be 100% sure with the tech 2 on injectors its not thr best way to know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts