Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Silverado with 346000 miles. I bought the truck with 307000 miles, as the second owner. I have no maintenance records for the truck. I have changed the external spin off filter with every other oil change. With not knowing the past maintenance records of the tranny, is it safe to change the internal filter? I have always heard that if you don't know - don"t change it. I pull a 28 foot camper, weighting about 7600 lbs. There are no issues with the tranny at this time. I have done nothing to the external cooler or tranny lines. Thanks much -

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I'm obviously not overhauling it. And the point is to take care of it the best I can... So, it sounds as if it's safe to do but doesn't need done as "regular" maintenance????

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Wow. I'm obviously not overhauling it. And the point is to take care of it the best I can... So, it sounds as if it's safe to do but doesn't need done as "regular" maintenance????
Correct, but the fluid should be changed, if you have not done that I would recommend doing so.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking this through a little more: If it is not necessary until an overhaul, then theoretically, that original filter and fluid would be good and last until the need for an overhaul. Is that right? Can tranny fluid last that long? thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I think I got it. Drain the fluid as you would engine oil, leave the pan and internal filter alone. thanks

·
Banned
10,146 Posts
Thinking this through a little more: If it is not necessary until an overhaul, then theoretically, that original filter and fluid would be good and last until the need for an overhaul. Is that right? Can tranny fluid last that long? thanks
The transmission has a drain plug. It is not necessary to drop the pan to change the fluid. OEM calls for a change every 50k I believe. Allison says if you change to transynd that it can be extended until an overhaul. The process to switch is to drain and fill with transyd and then repeat in a few hundred miles. Do a search here for switching to Transyd and you will find more details.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
No, the fluid and the external filter should be changed regularly, it's just the internal filter that doesn't need to be changed.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The internal filter is personal preference. Yes Allison says to only change at a rebuild. That being said I have talked to transmission pros that have told me they would not go more than 100k miles without changing the internal filter based on the things they have seen first hand. So again personal preference if you trust leave it.

Here is one person thought on this. Some people know him personally, wish I did.
Hasn’t been on here in a year and last post was two years.
Mike L.
12-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Listen up guys.
Allison recommendations are for slow underpowered trucks that travel at slow speeds and tow big. I still don't agree with them as far as servicing the internal filter.
We are running high performance trucks that shed more clutch material because of tq output. The filter needs to be changed more often. Another point is knowing what is going on in your Allison. peeling open ( not cutting ) your sump filter will tell you if something is going on. If you are a true performance person, you will want to know.
Changing the spin on is for the valve body and solenoids only. It is a low pressure ( 125 psi max ) filter and has nothing to do with the main trans itself.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Recommendations always changes, so does opinions.
I’m a firm believer to change the spin-on about 10k, pretty cheap insurance.
Full service with internal filter around 100k, local Allison shops will also suggest this.
This way you have a better idea in advance if your pan is fairly clean or contaminated.
I use Transynd but there are other lower priced TES-295 rated fluids available.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would change the filter if it was mine. One thing to keep in mind is vehicle makers get better ratings if they are more green. Not changing oil and filters as often looks very nice on paper but may not be the best for longevity. Again do as you wish-just my 2cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts