Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY FRIEND JUST HAD FRONT BRAKES (rotors&pads)DONE AT THE gmc DEALER SHIP, ON HIS S-10 P/U,at 27000 MILES, THAY CHARGED HIM $600.00 IS THIS A RIP OFF OR IS THIS NEAR NORMAL PRICE??

·
Registered
540 Posts
I guess my first question would be why???

My S10 needed new pads for the first time at 50k and certainly didn't need rotors. Did the work myself for 30 bucks for the pads.

My answer would be your friend got screwed. Hope he at least got a kiss while it was happening.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I think so too, he had a shake upon brakingin his trk and the dealer said it was out of warrenty, even though he heard that rotors were sub-par, new so he is so pissed that he will not buy another GMC TRUCK and is shopping for a 1 ton TOYOTA.........he has talked to many owners of toyota and can't find anyone who has complained about them(or their service).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dumb reason to change brands, IMHO

Comparing apples and oranges too. S10 to a 1 ton Toyota??

As for the rotors being sub par?? I have 70+k on my S10 on original rotors with no problems. My last S10, a 1991, went 315k miles on the original rotors. Something like 4 pad changes and no rotors. They were still within spec.

Sometimes the problem is more user oriented than with the product itself.

Dealer problems aren't limited to GM

dmax lover said:
Toyota pissed me off and boy am I glad they did (messed up my 4runner for rear spring recall). I drove toyotas for 20 years and now love my chevy. I can't believe how many times in a week I will say "Did I mention to you that I love my truck" I actually love going to work in the morning because I get to drive my truck to get there!!!

I like my chevy dealer too. I like them much better than the toyota dealer that I dealt with across the street. With toyota, I paid alot for the perception of quality. The first time I called them on something not being right I got told there was nothing wrong with my 4Runner and by the way they did it for free so I shouldn't complain (the rear end was an inch and half lower in the back after they "fixed" it for me).

jeff
Edited by: FirstDiesel

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just over 3 years........

·
Registered
514 Posts
Warped rotors are more often caused by folks who have never owned a torque wrench rather than sub-par manufacturing. Tightening the lug nuts in the correct sequence and to the correct torque specs goes a long way towards preventing warped rotors.

Front rotors for a 4wd 2000 S-10 are in the $25 -35 range from the local parts store so in all it should have been about $100 total in parts. Not sure how much time is involved according to the book but I can't imagine it being close to 7 hours of work at a $70.00 per hour estimated labor rate.

If you're using the same dealer, I'd make certain I found a different one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts