Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first changed my fuel filter on my truck around 10,000 miles it was all rusted out. Then I seen where othes on this site had the same problem. I was talking to a good friend of mine who has been a diesel machanic for over 20 years and I told him about the problem. He said it must have been moister in the system when the truck was built. He said that the duramax is the only engine with this problem. Dodge cummins and the new Ford 6.0 powerstroke have had no rusting in the fuel system. What can we do about this rusting problem. I have never had to deal with a problem like this and I dont want to keep sending rust particles through my injectors and engine. He also told me not to ever substain a pyro temp higher than 1400 degrees. He said 1400 degrees is where alluminum melts down. He has replaced a couple of heads and head gaskets on duramaxs that were stock. The alliminum heads are still a litle scary to me on a cast iron block. What do you all think?

·
Registered
540 Posts
You need to read a few of the filter threads here.

There are brand new rusty filters out there.

I doubt your friends assesment is correct. There have been filters taken apart right out of the box with rust so it seems unlikely the problem is water when the truck was built. The probelm seems to be bad filters that might be made worst by water in the fuel.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I agree with First Diesel. Some unused filters show signs of corrosion right out of the package. Sounds like moisture in the manufacturing and/or storage process. Could be extra cheap steel? Once you have corrosion it's easy for it to spread.

I like emulsifying additive. I do not like forcing moisture out of the fuel to and create corrosion.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
The high egts are more damaging to the turbo then the heads, ditto with filter talk above. I have replaced my fair share of head gaskets also...coolant leaks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts