Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new OEM fuel filter ($57.87 + Tax) for our Duramax from the local GM dealer here in Columbus, Ohio Saturday morning. On inspection, the filter shows evidence of surface corrosion that can be seen through the water sensor port. Will cut it open tomorrow and follow with photos. This is some of the worst metal working I have seen in a good while. It is now clear where/why we have seen the examples of severely rusted OEM filters, with some rusting through; any presence of entrained water (which will exist) will cause this filter to immediately begin corroding.
George Morrison

·
Registered
490 Posts
$57.87 for JUST the filter cartridge??? You'd think at that price it would be made out of stainless!!!! Is that normal price?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Even from the dealer you were screwed. I have paid about $30.00 (don't remember exactly) at the dealer but a lot of place sell the filter cheaper than the dealer. Check on line places like Diesel Injection Service and Kennedy to name two. GM Parts Direct is also one.

Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks for going through the trouble to check a filter straight from a dealer. Makes you wonder about all of those filters being installed on those trucks being serviced by the dealers.

I wonder what would be the most effective way for us to speak as one voice and bring this to GM's attention? does anyoone have an email address of someone sufficiently wired in GM that 500 emails could raise some eyebrows and get action?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Phil, regarding your excellent comment "I wonder what would be the most effective way for us to speak as one voice and bring this to GM's attention? does anyone have an email address of someone sufficiently wired in GM that 500 emails could raise some eyebrows and get action?" To be purchasing a filter in a pre-rusted condition such as this is totally unacceptable. Surely there is a hot button at GM somewhere. As soon as this inside surface is exposed to diesel fuel containing any level of water, the corrosion/rust is going to take off like wildfire. This filter in this condition is a guaranteed warranty refusal after a few thousand miles driving. I apologize but I am not cutting this filter as per previous plan but taking it back to dealer in original form to see if we can get any movement on the defective part return. Hopefully the dealer will have to write something up on return justification.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

·
Registered
91 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts