Diesel Place banner

Rust Prevention????

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  nelsongmanuel 
#1 ·
I am in northern Ohio with some crappy winter's. I want my truck to last me for another ten years especially with all the money I have spent on it. So my question is do you guys know a good way to prevent rust?

I had the truck undercoated but will that help. I saw a product that is suppose to give an electric charge to the metal and keep it from rusting, anybody know anything about this???

They used to have Ziebart coating or something as well know anything about this??

It's an 04 I just want to stop all rust before it starts----Thanks

#3 ·
Move to Arizona!

J/K

I think the OE metal coating is better than before, but the salt up there will kill you.

I'm from Columbus. I bought a new 91 S10 there and spent one winter there before moving to Dallas in 92.

I sold the rust bucket in December 01. I think it was a lot to do with that first winter.

#4 ·
bristolbroke Do you know Greg Limber? He was the Spectro Oil rep in Ohio & KY. He lives in Elyria. He's a Porshce guy & use to endurance race Volvos at Nelson Ledges. Just curious.

#6 ·
I have undercoated all my new vehicles and believe it does help . About the electronic thing , my neighbour put it on a Ford mini van he bought new and when I was checking it out I noticed enough rust for it only being four years old .

#7 ·
Thats kind of what I figured. I hate the salt they put on the roads up here.

SCQTT--No I have never meet him. I have not lived here that long though and would love to moe to arizona or texas or anywhere else. Stuck here because of my job.

#8 ·
bristolbroke;1553532; said:
Thats kind of what I figured. I hate the salt they put on the roads up here.

SCQTT--No I have never meet him. I have not lived here that long though and would love to moe to arizona or texas or anywhere else. Stuck here because of my job.
Same for me. I have moved for my job a bunch. I am from Ohio, but have not lived there in about 15 years.

Chicago :bleah:
Dallas:bounce:

Cape Girardeau, Missouri :)

Memphis :ThrowUp:

I will probably be here for a long time though, I work for a really awesome company. I guess you just have to make the best of it, no one is forcing me to live anywhere.

#9 ·
2 things that i do spray the underside with the wax at those diy car washes. And the other thing is use a spray bottle like a windex bottle and fill it with diesel i use home heating oil but its all the same. Give the underside a nice coating.

#10 ·
You guys need to get on the Fluid Film bandwagon. I spray it everywhere to keep rust from forming. I wish I found it sooner. You can get it online or from any John Deere dealer

#11 ·
WHTDMAX06;1553598; said:
2 things that i do spray the underside with the wax at those diy car washes. And the other thing is use a spray bottle like a windex bottle and fill it with diesel i use home heating oil but its all the same. Give the underside a nice coating.
There were articles in the papers up here about the car washes re-using their wash water (to save money, of course). That meant all the salt we thought we were washing off was just getting re-cycled. I believe it was for the wash water only, but still, I'm not excited about washing my truck in salt water - even if the rinse water is clean. :mad:

It was the DIY's and the drive thru's.

#12 ·
You can look at getting line-X or Rhino lining sprayed on the bottom of your truck along with the inside of the wheel wells.

#13 ·
Don't know if this helps but a few years ago when I put an underground oil tank in they made me hook up this bag filled with something that had two wires coming off of it to the tank before I backfilled it. They explained that it did some kinda reverse charge to prevent the tank from rusting. B.S. or not I don't know but thats what I had to do to pass inspection. I bought with the tank at a agriculture supply store. It just might work.:rolleyes:

#14 ·
My new truck has z bart, last time ill ever put an undercoating on one, I already see rust and think it traps the water salt in the frame and holds it there (theres seams etc in it where the water can run in but I dont belive get out). Magnesium chloride they spray on roads now really stink, corrodes metal quick, imagine how fast our bridges will rust away now (they paint htem but still that stuff is nasty.

#15 ·
Hate salt myself..........had a problem with my '02 Z71's wheel speed sensors for the ABS forming corrosion at the electrical contact near the wheel hubs because of salt...caused the ABS to activate on dry pavement..TSB on this topic. My advice is to rinse off the under-carriage as often as possible during the winter. I've heard from a reputable car expert that aftermarket "undercoating" actually prevents moisture from evaporating and accelerates corrosion so be careful and do some research before you apply it if that's what you want.

#16 ·
bristolbroke;1551990; said:
I am in northern Ohio with some crappy winter's. I want my truck to last me for another ten years especially with all the money I have spent on it. So my question is do you guys know a good way to prevent rust?

I had the truck undercoated but will that help. I saw a product that is suppose to give an electric charge to the metal and keep it from rusting, anybody know anything about this???

They used to have Ziebart coating or something as well know anything about this??

It's an 04 I just want to stop all rust before it starts----Thanks
Here is what we do. Go to a place like TSC and buy yourself a gallon or more if you want. ) of AW mineral hydraulic oil, you can choose the grade ( not too thick, like in the 40w range. ) . Go buy yourself a rust check gun, kinda like a paint gun, and rust check it yourself. We do it. You want the stuff that runs, because it will run into all the hard to reach places that the caramel crap the dealers use won't.

Open up your doors and drill a hole towards the bottom of the door, put a wand on the gun ( we used brake line to extend ours. ) and spray it in pointing down the full length of the door. If you want, any parts place should be able to get you plugs to plug the hole up. Take out the tail lights and spray inside the box also. Basically, you want to spray anywhere rust may form.

But you need to becareful, because all the modules and electronics won't like the oil.

There is a company up here called Krown rust control, and they use AW hydraulic oil, with some of their own stuff mixed in. Hands down, probably the best ones out there, bar none!! Once you have sprayed it, clean all the glass, and clean your wiper blades off, if you sprayed the inner fenders.

Don't wash the truck for 3 weeks after, and if you do, DO NOT spray out the wheel wells, the oil needs time to stick to everything.

Anything else, feel free to ask.

#17 ·
vrodman;1553985; said:
Don't know if this helps but a few years ago when I put an underground oil tank in they made me hook up this bag filled with something that had two wires coming off of it to the tank before I backfilled it. They explained that it did some kinda reverse charge to prevent the tank from rusting. B.S. or not I don't know but thats what I had to do to pass inspection. I bought with the tank at a agriculture supply store. It just might work.:rolleyes:
I believe that has to do with electrlosis from the earth reacting with your tank. BTW i live in Ohio too and All this damn salt is TOTAL BS!!!! :mad: They need to just use sand or grit!! All these damn ODOT guys sucking up overtime spreading salt for nothing!!!:mad: :mad: I just take my truck to the car wash every day i get in contact with salt. A carwash is cheaper than a new truck. ALSO Like said above, spray oil or 3M undercoating in your door latch hole till it runs out the bottom of your door. The door seams are stamped at the bottom and are the First things to rust!

#18 ·
The best way to go is undercoat the truck with a good undercoating that has a rust inhibitor in it and reapply to necessary spots as required. For the body and door sills it's simple. Doors remove inner panels on the GM it's easy, and apply 3M rust fighter inside bottom of door about 3" up from the bottom and cover all seams. Rocker panels can be done by removing any factory plugs underneath the truck and by spraying inside the center pillar post, by removing electrical rubber boot. Front fenders have holes in them near the top to access the fender. I used about two quarts for my Crewcab Dually. The 3M runs about $20 a quart and you'll need to buy an applicator gun through a place like JC Whitney and a small compressor.

#19 ·
I'm yet to see exterior rust on any truck with a duramax, has anyone else?

-chris

#20 ·
Thanks guys the oil idea I have never heard of but like it. I already have a good coat of undercoating on everythimng but think I will get the doors and everything once more. I wash and wax it as often as I can, I hope that it will help also.

I agree with the Ohio odot truck guys it is rididilous. They wonder why they never have any money in this state.

#21 ·
bristolbroke;1558048; said:
Thanks guys the oil idea I have never heard of but like it. I already have a good coat of undercoating on everythimng but think I will get the doors and everything once more. I wash and wax it as often as I can, I hope that it will help also.

I agree with the Ohio odot truck guys it is rididilous. They wonder why they never have any money in this state.
One of the biggest problems with undercoating is it can plug up drain holes, if not installed properly. This is especially a problem in doors.

#22 ·
Tom S.;1558313; said:
One of the biggest problems with undercoating is it can plug up drain holes, if not installed properly. This is especially a problem in doors.
This is exactly why hydraulic mineral oil works the best, it runs out the holes, and into all the cracks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.