Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please help me better understand why rust in the bottom of the fuel filter is such a problem. This thing is called a water separator isnt it? So when the water drops to the bottom..isnt rust going to occur over time?..willnot this sediment stay on the inside of the filtration..not getting thru?? Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
909 Posts
It's been said that the rust is occuring on the dirty side of the filter. Having said that, none of my filters are rusty.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Bob

cut it open you will probaly find it free of rust on the inside (clean side)

GenoEdited by: geno

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Rust will GROW, expand, spread, multiply etc. The more trash you have in the filter canister, the more that can get through the filter...

·
Registered
394 Posts
One of the issues is that some OEM filters come "pre-rusted". And as John Kennedy has indicated, once the cancer has started, any free water form will accelerate the corrosion. By products of the corrosion sluff cover the complete size spectrum of 1 angstrom on up through visible chunks and clunks. So, we have a fuel filter CREATING contaminants. As If we don't already have sufficient contaminants in pump diesel fuel!
In the case of the limited filtering capability of the OEM filter to capture sub-micronic particulates, the last thing we need is something adding additional load/wear components to our fuel system.
George Morrison

·
Registered
444 Posts
I just saw the Purolator brand of the Racor filter. It comes sealed in a plastic bag. I havn't bought a filter yet so I don't know if this is something new to combat the rust problem.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
JohnnyO said:
I just saw the Purolator brand of the Racor filter. It comes sealed in a plastic bag. I havn't bought a filter yet so I don't know if this is something new to combat the rust problem.

They have all been bagged, but the last batch in seems to have a better bag. One might do well to shoot a bit of WD 40 inside the canister if storing for significant time period...

The design of the filter can does NOT allow efficient evacutation of all collected water making the use of an emulsifying additive with corrosion inhibitor all that much more necessary IMHO.Edited by: Kennedy

·
Registered
165 Posts
John,

Good ldea on the WD40 since a lot of us buy these filters in bulk.

Bob

·
Registered
665 Posts
Johny O the plastic bag is not uniqe ti the brand you mentioned, I use Baldwin FF's and they are packed only in a plastic bag, no box and have a Baldwin sticker on the bag. This probaly allows Baldwin to buy them cheaper from RACOR. I've only used one filter, the OEM, and its free of rust. I have a 2 micron Cat filter installed as a primary filter and the OEM ( about 5 microns)is a secondary filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts