Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a used 03 chevy duramax with 60k mi on it and i have noticed a slightly shake in the engine when i barely give it any gas. I also get this when in park(hopefully taking the tranny out of the list of problems). This is just a fraction over idle where i feel the shake then it smooths out. What could this be? Is it even something to worry about?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Interesting. I hope you get an answer. Mine does the same thing. It occurs at just the smallest possible movement of the peddle, just barely lifting the revs above idle. Anything beyond that and it smooths immediately. It idles smoothly, runs great and doesn’t smoke (except when the peddle is, um, way past idle). I have no idea how long it has done this. I only discovered it by accident.

TC

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what mine is doing. its only a hair over idle. I just dont want to go and have to spend any money on diagnostics if this is just the nature of the beast. I never had that problem with my old 6.5L. It really should be smooth throughout though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after more testing i could actually get the rpms to drop when it is cold. I used a computer air cleaner can to blow off the MAF and was very careful around the sensor(did not notice any real build up on the sensor). When warm the motor does not shake as bad nor does it drop in rpms when i touch the gas. guess i will take it in and see if it can get it fixed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My truck does the same thing. Has 115k miles on it. Runs great, and I don't think it's that big of a problem.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing since new. I had heard it has something to do with the pilot injection. I think with that little of throttle input the computer can't decide if it should idle or idle up. I will notice it at stops also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well it also would be really noticeable if i spooled up the turbo at a stop little. I would shake almost enough to rattle my teeth for about 2 seconds. I did take it the shop yesterday and when i went in to get my sunglasses and my extra house keys i saw the front end of the truck lying on the ground wheel wells out and the tech2 hooked up. I didn’t get any answers as to what they were doing because everyone that knew anything was at lunch. as far as it being the pilot injection, i would think that was more of adding fuel to soften the noise from combustion and that it would not affect the way the motor normal acts? i could be very wrong but just my interpretation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dealer called to tell me that 4 of 8 injectors were outside of spec. range. We will see if it fixes my issues.
awesome. on my way to my first full set of injectors

1 - 9 of 9 Posts