Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys,

I have the fender mount for my antenna but not sure where to route the wire with that BIG coupling???
You know the story....don't want to make any holes I don't have to.

Thanks Two Dogs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ran the coax for mine out thru the gromet for the trans shift cable in the drivers side floorpan. Big gromet is easy enough to get out, split, replace and seal.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Two Dogs,

I have the same problem, that connector is so damn big! I really didnt want to be cutting into grommets, seems like it needs to be a HUGE hole. I routed mine through the door sill, and noticed some water in the floor board when it rained the other, looks like Iam in search of a new place to route mine. Looks like I will be searching for that trans shift cable!. Thanks.

Russ

·
Registered
648 Posts
7/8" drill bit (I think, going from memory here) through the firewall. Went to Home Depot and bought a black plastic hole plug (for conduit) and a rubber grommet sized for the OD of the cable (not the connector).

Drilled a hole in the hole plug big enough to get the grommet into, then sliced it with a Dremmel tool. Also sliced the grommet. Popped the grommet in the hole plug, fed the cable with the PL-259 plug through the 7/8" hole, then slid the cable in the grommet. Popped the hole plug w/grommet and cable into the firewall hole and viola!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
If you have any wires you need to run thru the firewall, including your CB cable you can drill a 1 and 1/4" hole thru the firewall where the factory drills it out for the snow plow prep option. Which is on the drivers side above the pedals. If you look you will see there is no insulation on either side of the firewall at this spot. Just get a drill or a right angle drill I believe works good from the engine side and get a hole saw the right diameter and drill it. The firewall is very thin (at this spot only I hope)
and you will drill thru in no time. Just be carefull dont go too far and catch any wires on the other side.

I cut the hole and ran my snow plow wires and a few other wires I have running out for switches and other stuff. I put a piece of sliced vacum hose around the edge of the hole to protect against chaffing and then put a small rag to fill in the rest of the hole to keep wind and fumes out of the cab. Then I just remove the rag to add more wires when I need. Not high tech I know but it works.

Also if you dont want to do that just CUT the coupling off the end of the cable and run the small diameter cable thru another grommet then get a new coupling at radio shack and solder a new one back on.
Or if you dont want to solder go to a CB shop in your area and have them solder it for you.

My .02 Diesel Dragon

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys,

I was able to remove a 1 1/2"+/- size grommet to the left of the hood cable about 6-8" toward the pass.side. It has a single small cable going thru it...Grommet / Boot combination affair.
I popped it out of the firewall on the engine side & the middle came apart & it was a thick round Grommet which sits inside the outer Boot & had a slice in it already. I just sliced the boot that the Grommet/Plug fit in & passed thru the cable & reinstalled.
A little lube will help a lot...I did it dry & was a bit tight.
It was nice to hear about the snow-plow hole also, along
with all the other replies.

Two Dogs

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Wilson makes CO-AX that has a removable fitting....once you are done routing it all you do is put the male fitting back on. I got mine at the 'Flying Hook' (Flying J) or any big truck stop should have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts