Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned my ip down after replaceing head gaskets today... started befor pump turn down and ran fine... turned the oumo down and put it back to gether started it up and imeditly pegged the rpms luckly it has a manual tranny or it would have blown up. what did i do wrong:eek:

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help everyone i figured it out my sylinoid is cracked and wont work cause it fills with diesel but take it out and let it drain it works fine, so i figure i just need a new one:(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
well guys nothingis working the engine is still running away a guy told me there a needle jet in the pump any ideas please help:confused:

·
Registered
115 Posts
possible to turn up the screw too far ??? I know when we turn up an older mercedes 300TD if you run the screw till it stops and don't back it off a little it causes the internal metering rod to open and lets the engine run away -- but these pumps are bosch and are similar to the dodge mechanical inj. pumps

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,346 Posts
I"m still betting you put the IP cap back on wrong. You can't just drop the cap back on and bolt it down. You have to slide it from the front of the engine bay to the rear or else you'll jam the metering valve wide open, and the engine will run away and the key will not shut it down. ONly way your stopping it is to stall it like you did via the trans, or suffocate it(covering the air filter intake will work to suffocate it).

Only other thing that'll cause a runaway like that is the engine running off it's own oil. It's an issue with the turbo seal letting go and dumping engine oil into the intake. Obviously N/A diesels wouldn't have a turbo seal related problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i may have put it on wrong i'm havin a guy come by tomarrow to look at it and the engine is not running off the oil i have the upper intake off of it. i even turned it down lower than stock so i don't think that is it

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
Actually Detriots do. It's not pretty. Why did you7 have the top off the IP to turn it up or down ? IIRC isn't that done through a cover on the side ? However that said Dave is correct. If you had the top off you reinstalled it wrong. Take it off and do it again. If you did not remove the top and this happended you have a serious IP issue.

·
Forum Troll
5,969 Posts
There is a special tool that slides under the top cover when mounting it.
Most people don't use it.

Engines don't runaway, mechanics do. :)
Yeah and.....:nopics:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do not start the engine again until you get a click from the IP solenoid. No click means you do not have it assembled properly. Click when power applied/removed at shut off solenoid.

Look inside the top of the pump. It is stupid simple. Driver side rear of the pump is a little stamped steel blade. This is the metering valve control. It controls shut off and fuel aka throttle. Everything else under that top cover is shut off and governor - idle/high RPM.

The top cover solenoid engages the rod and parts on the passenger side of the pump. Move this stuff back and forth and watch the metering valve move. Look at what way the solenoid moves, sucks the center part in, and pulls against the spring in the pump.

The IP has springs to move the metering valve WOT without the solenoid/top cover in place. Putting the solenoid in place moves the metering valve to the full closed position.

So with the top IP cover off the metering valve is in the WOT position. This is because idle speed is below 650 RPM, at 0, so the governor needs to open the throttle…

The fuel adjustment screw doesn’t do anything if it can’t get fuel through the metering valve. So it’s adjustment is not the runaway cause.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts