Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but I always thought that OEM stood for original equipment manufacture. Right? So, when the rules state that you have to run an OEM engine, can I run a Duramax in a 79 Chevy truck? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YEA YOU CAN DO THAT MAN, ME AND MY BUDDY STUCK A DMAX IN A 87 CC CHEVY AND HE PULLS IT. THEY DON'T NEVER SAY ANYTHING IF ANYTHING THEY LIKE IT ITS DIFFRENT! BY THE WAY GOOD LUCK YOU BETTER GET A DONAR TRUCK CUZ YOUR GOING TO NEED EVERYHTING, AT LEAST ITS EASIER THAT WAY. IT TOOK US NEARLY A YEAR TO ACTUALY GET IT ALL TOGETHER AND IT STILL NEEDS A FEW BUGS WORKED OUT BUT A AWSOME PROJECT! GOOD LUCK MAN! :ro)

CHAD KY

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just thinking because I have a mint 79 in the garage that I kind of lost interest in since the Dmax is so much fun. I kind of have a problem taking the next step in my daily driven, kid carting, not yet paid for truck. The solid front axle and 205 transfer case has to be better than what we have now. And I agree, it would definitely stand out.:confuzeld

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but I always thought that OEM stood for original equipment manufacture. Right? So, when the rules state that you have to run an OEM engine, can I run a Duramax in a 79 Chevy truck? Inquiring minds want to know.
Alot depends on when/where you are going to pull with it (and more importantly how it does).

We have had debates on this exact issue in our club. Our rules initially stated that motors need to be OEM for the make, model, and year of the vehicle. This became an issue with one of our members about 8 years ago. He had a 70-something Ford with a swapped in 460. He ended up spanking a bunch of people and somebody decided to protest because Ford did not offer a 460 in that year in a 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton. The puller then protested because the year before and the year after you could get the same setup he was running.....

When all the smoke settled, we had to change the rules to state that you can run any motor as long as it was used in that series truck (make/model/style). That keeps it fair so that if you have an oddball year truck you don't get screwed by having to run a tiny small block against a big block (unless you choose to).

The way our rules are currently written, you could not swap in a new 6L or 8.1L into a 73-87 style pickup and pull for points (although you can pull for exhibition) in the street classes. You can run that setup in a modified or unlimited class though (although much tougher).

The whole idea is to keep the playing field as even as possible.....

You may be able to run locally, and if you do poorly or about average you probably won't have a problem, but if you start smoking everybody, I'm sure someone will protest.

I know there is a member on here that has a DMAX in an old Crew Cab solid front axle rig. He still has a few bugs to work out and really hasn't put a beating on anybody. So far he has not been questioned, but I bet as soon as he gets that thing dialed in, there will be a few people crying foul. If enough stink is made, I'm sure he will have to run in a "modified" class.

If you want to do it just to do it and have a nice one-off machine that's cool :grd: , but if you want to pull for points/$$$, then I would check with your local sanctioning body before going through the expense. They may allow it, but more than likely they will not, or they may make you "jump" a class if you start doing well.......

Just my .02

Chris

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris for the input. That is kind of what I thought, but after reading the DHRA official rules it left me wondering. It is kind of a loop hole if you don’t clarify it. It would give the Dodge boys something else to gripe about! Just kidding. But seriously it looks to me like they don’t want to see any Cummins engines in Fords or GM trucks. It would stink to go do all the work and be shut out. We are spending piles of money to win pennies anyway, so what would it matter? As long as they let me run I would be happy.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm the one with the older crew cab and I asked Gene about this on another site. He said
Engine:
The engine is limited to a stock-appearing, OEM make-specific compression ignition engine.

Notice it does not say year.

No Cummins to Ford or Chevy, but you can throw away your 6.2 Chevy and repower with Isuzu, in a Chevy.
Ok?
I was very concerned as I've spent alot of money on this truck and plan on trying to attend as many pulls as possible. It seems fair to me to just say brand specific so no swaps between years if its a different brand (cummins/ford cummins/chevy and so on). The way Gene put it explains it clearly and fairly and I hope the rules stay that way, as I wanted to build something different but don't have the money to play with the big boys. As the rules stand I am happy and hopfully people won't complain but rather welcome all the hard work someone has done instead of punish them for it.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
yeah i saw you over @ kydtr.com. Truck is gonna look goos when you get it painted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.