Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is hard to start and I get a code 36 [Injection Pulse Width Error (Time Long)] What can I do? When I try to start it sometimes will start fireing and stumble along for 5 seconds, then die. I searched and searched but I never found anything basic enough for me to undersand. Now I am totally confused. Sorry for my dumb question, I know the answer is stareing me in the face but I don't see it yet. Is it the timing belt? Bad IP? Or none of the above? The code makes me think it is probably the timeing chain but I would shure like some input before I start throughing money at it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also truck runs great, at least seems to run great, when warm. If I fire it up cold, kill it instantly and restart it fires up great. Have clear fuel line, don't think there is any air. LP gives 5 psi at idle 6 while the truck is shut off. Since it starts well imidiatly after it was shut off does that point to the IP?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Have you cleaned all the grounds? Including the ones on the back of the intake manifold and frame to firewall. Bad ground connections can cause alot of headaches. It's free and eliminates that as a problem before you have to start throwing money into parts. Code 36 points to fuel solonoid inside pump. The solonoid could be just sticky. A big dose of power service or similar product could free it up if you're lucky. otherwise you may need a ip. Did you reuse the pmd when you relocated it?Where did your extension harness come from?Many problems reported here with fleabay [edam] extension harness.Is your ground wire still attached to the ip?Are there any other codes present? Other codes can cause a dtc36.Other codes need to be fixed for dtc36 to clear.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clean grounds got new PMD from Pesacola diesel from ebay. No other codes and the IP ground wire is in place. Is the fuel solonoid the round thing on top? I have heard that if it clicks when the key is turned it is good (it does) is this true?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.