Diesel Place banner

Rubber smell and no power.

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  greatlakes 
#1 ·
I got into my truck this morning, and it started fine since it was plugged in, but after I took off battery light came on, battery gauge never went above the first line after the red, and tach don't work. I was thinking that the alternator went, but can it be anything else? Would this make it smell like burnt rubber? Smelt like the belt was slipping or something. Any thoughts.

At 162,000 miles stuff has to start sh***** to bed sometime right:eek::

Thanks, Jacob

#2 ·
That was likely your belt slipping. If the tac doesn't work as well as no charging, then likely the rear bearing on the alternator seized. I could be wrong though, stranger things have happened!

BTW: after having the belt slip always carry a spare or change that one. I thought one that had slipped on me would be fine after. Ten KM later I was walkin' home. :p:

#3 ·
yeah, Tach runs off the alternator signal. So no charge + no tach means new alternator, or new harness. Check both, replace as needed

#4 ·
Could be your belt tension pully. Sometimes thos crazy things will sieze up. Best is to replace the whole tensioner...not just the bearing.
But.....could just be the alt. Gm alts don't last long. :mad:

Good luck.

#5 ·
How do you test the alternator. I am pretty sure that is the problem becuase my battery light is on and my battery gauge stays right at the first line after the red (9). How much does an alternator run for. Where are good places to get them?

Thanks, Jacob

#6 ·
If turning again it's the alternator or the wiring to the alternator. Unless you can find where the wiring got damaged (melted) all of a sudden then replace the alternator and your back in busness.

So when this sort of stuff happens look under the hood and see where the smell, noise, fire is coming from.

When you take the belt off try turning the pulleys by hand and see how they feel.

Most auto parts places will test your alternator but you need to take it off.

#7 ·
Thanks, Jacob

#8 ·
Yea Jacob, all my gm trucks I have ever owned have had alts. go bad. If it lasts 3-4 years, you are doing good. Just my luck I guess.
Seems they first start to show higher than normall charge for a few weeks, then it starts to sound like the bearing is dry....then the charge goes way down. Good idea to replace it then, otherwise it will sieze and take the serp. belt with it.
I pay around $200 Canadian for my alts. In the U.S. I'm sure they are lots cheaper. My alts. usually carry a 1 year warranty. Not good enough if you ask me. :mad:

#9 ·
Around $110 here for a new alternator with lifetime warranty.

You can get a reman cheaper

#11 ·
It's amazing the difference in prices.

#12 ·
DavidPhillips;1559179; said:
It's amazing the difference in prices.
I know David.
This is why I buy off ebay as often as I can. In Canada, if the taxman don't get ya, the middleman will!!

On another note.........we pay $30 for 1 GM glowplug...:eek: :eek:

#13 ·
Last time I was in Calgary cigs were over $10.00 a pack.

#14 ·
10 bucks for a pack of Players light right now in Ontario!

I'd have alot more money if I quit!

#15 ·
Where did you get this $110 alt with a lifetime warranty, because I looked online and it seems the remans are about that price.

Jacob

#16 ·
Advance Auto Parts -- Palladium New -- 91314 -- $108.88
Autozone -- Gold-Duralast New -- DLG-1345-6-11 -- $109.99
Oreilly Auto Parts -- Master Pro Platinum New -- 3345611 $109.99

Maybe your part number is different.

Reman alternators are about $75 to $85, got one of those before. Not again.

#17 ·
Check the Belt tensioner. My just went out. I found a different Napa dealer B.T. was $60. Had the same problem and smell.

#18 ·
New alternator in equals power!!:)

Thanks for the help guys, Jacob

#19 ·
Autozone -- Gold-Duralast New -- DLG-1345-6-11 -- $109.99

I think that's the P/N I got, I know it's a Gold-Duralast from Autozone anyways. I'm on #5 in 12 years so that come's to $439.96 that I got out of Autozone... Few thousand more $$$ it might make feel better about having to go there -:t . Sorry I'm not a Autozone fan, and the ATL is the only thing I have left on the truck from them. But I sure it's really just the store by me and not all of them.

#20 ·
Mine came from Advance Auto.

#21 ·
I had the same type of problem with my truck and I ignored it, about a week later the tensioner pulley bearing detonated and I had a two hour drive ahead of me. It might be a good idea to check the pulley. yea $10.25 for a pack of smokes in TO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.