Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My truck has recently started doing this and my dads 2000 does the same thing. The rubber flaps that go over the arms on the hood (right in front of the windshield) on both sides of the truck "rattle" at speeds over 50mph. Do these flaps come untucked from inside there or do they get old and start flapping in the wind? I dont remember this problem happening earlier. Are replacements the answer? I dont know the exact name for these things either...I tried doing a search but it doesnt help if you dont know what they're called for sure. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
It's not those rattling its the weather stripping around the windshield. You will need to 'glue' it down. Did you recently add a bug deflector or have your windshield changed?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
MaxPOwer, i have to disagree. I have the same problem and i can see them flagging around and the weather strip is nice and sealed. There is another post on here about this problem. But I have heard of using double back tape and silicone or something like that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Those little flaps on my truck have driven me crazy since I got the truck. At first I couldn't tell where that "rattle" was coming from but finally saw them in action when somebody else drove my truck while I carefully looked at what the cause of the noise might be.

After I figured out what the problem was, for some reason it didn't bother me as much. I do want to fix it though.

B

·
0 Posts
JRZ2500HD Said: "MaxPOwer, i have to disagree. I have the same problem and i can see them flagging around and the weather strip is nice and sealed. There is another post on here about this problem. But I have heard of using double back tape and silicone or something like that."

I have to agree I have seen mine flap also the fix I have read is to put double sided trim tape on the flap and stick it down to the hood arm.

I have bought the tape just haven't done it yet, waiting for warmer weather.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Yes they flap around, but according to everyone I have talked to and all 4 trucks I have owned with the problem, that was not the cause of the noise. One simple way to find out, glue them down and go for a drive. If it solves your proble, great you got of easy. My 03 does not have this problem. I had a 99 that was absolutely terrible.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot! At least I have a few good Ideas on where to start and how to go at it. As you asked Max Power, I did put on a bug deflector a few months ago, but I didnt notice it until a little after that. Maybe the draft from it sent them loose?

I just assumed it was those flaps because I could actually see them moving.

Thanks again!

Jason

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey, all. I have this problem, aswell. My problem started when I put the bug deflector on. Haven't done anything about it, though.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had both problems with my 04; first the flaps on the hood hinges would be flopping around; looks like GM shortened them up so that they are getting sucked back up and then start flopping around; put a bead of black silicone on them to "glue" them down to the hinges; second, it looks like the windshield molding also flops around but on mine it is very tight from corner to corner BUT in the corners where the different gaskets meet would make noise; all I did was put more black silicone under the gasket and fill up the gap between the two gaskets and that has solved that noise also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts