Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at RPO codes on GM-Trucks.com and now I'm confused.

For 2001 it says G80 is positrac limited slip rear end.
For 2002 it says G80 is positrac limited slip rear end.
For 2003 it says G80 is a locking rear end.
For 2004 it says G80 is a locking rear end and G86 is a positrac limited slip rear end

I thought G80 always meant locking rear end. But now I wonder if they changed the meaning of the code so that prior to '03 G80 meant limited slip and '03+ G80 meant locking.

Can anyone clear that up?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
The G80 option code is a generic option code used on multiple vehicle models indicating you do NOT have an open differential. On some vehicles the G80 is a limited slip. In the case of a 2500/3500 HD G80 option code is a auto locking eaton differential.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you

·
Registered
294 Posts
In the case of a 2500/3500 HD G80 option code is a auto locking eaton differential.
Note: It will feel like an open diff if you spin a wheel by hand with the rear off the ground, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction like an open diff. This is a locker, not a limited slip, so it behaives like an open till it locks.

JJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is the never ending what is it thread. I bet it's been posted 10 times in the last year, and the erroneous info just keeps coming...

The Gov-Lok is a limited slip. It uses gears and flyweights to load the clutch plates. This application of force to the clutch packs they call "Locking" which effectively makes it a pre-loaded clutch type limited slip. It is NOT a locking differential, regardless of what you might read. At no time is there a solid mechanical connection between the left and right axles, just increased pre-load on the clutchpacks "energizing" the limited slip feature. And it dis-engages at highers speeds.

It also explodes with amazing frequency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts