Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up an lly a few months ago and have been slowly upgrading parts and getting it the way I want it. It's got 190k on it and just had the head gaskets done before I bought it. It was smoking quite a bit when I bought it so I checked injector rates and found that I had 2 out of spec so I changed them. That fixed the smoke problem, mostly. Still smoked more than normal but it wasn't completely blacking out the road like before. I've been driving it like that for about a month and just today while getting on it a little it started blowing white smoke and in gear stopped at a stop light it was running rough. Got it home and checked the injector rates again and now I have 6 of them stuck at +7 and 1 at+15. They were fine yesterday. Any ideas on what is causing the rates to be where they're at and how to fix it? Truck has 5" exhaust no cat, s&b cold air intake, blocker plate and stock tuning.

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Balance rates are one indicator.
I would do a flow return test on the injectors next

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only reason I don't think it's injectors and it's something else is all of my rates were just fine yesterday. Then today this happens and they all read the same thing except 1 of them. Plus no fluctuation while it's idling.

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Start inspecting the injector harness and connectors.
You can try the ice pick fix and see if things improve LLY Injector Harness Repair

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just a little update. Checked compression on all cylinders and all of them were good at about 400 except for cylinder 5 was reading 140. Sounds like a new motor is in my future.

·
Registered
2005 2500hd 4x4 stock
60 Posts
So just a little update. Checked compression on all cylinders and all of them were good at about 400 except for cylinder 5 was reading 140. Sounds like a new motor is in my future.
Did you try a leak down test? You may get lucky and just need to work valve train.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't. I'm taking it to a diesel shop in about a week to get the full run through. I don't have a lot of time to try and and figure it out myself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update to finish off the thread. Got a new reman from gm installed. Everything is back to good except the ol' wallet. Now to put a few thousand miles on it so I can get efi live installed and start to enjoy the truck fully again.

·
Administrator
19,948 Posts
Just an update to finish off the thread. Got a new reman from gm installed. Everything is back to good except the ol' wallet. Now to put a few thousand miles on it so I can get efi live installed and start to enjoy the truck fully again.
Thanks for the update!
(y)

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,997 Posts
Damn, and here I am b🤬 ing about my troubles. Good to see you got it sorted out.
Did you rip apart the bad one to see what it was ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty sure you've got a good excuse to complain. I've been following your thread, pretty sure I would have burnt the thing to the ground. Sounds like you almost have it though. No I didn't rip it apart. I had zero compression in cylinder number 5. Pretty sure I was dumping fuel into it and burnt a hole in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts