Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
It is coldddd here in Massachusetts now....I can get the beast started easy but it runs rough for about 15-20 seconds......I get the worst mileage aroun 8-10...........I also have huge wide tires that could be contributing but what I am wondering is is it my injectors?????? if anyone could help me out here I would appreciate it...thanks again guys

-Tyler

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Need to add the yr to your signature, I suspect veggie sludge and insufficient glow, how many miles on the injectors

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 1995, I run diesel before and after shutting the engine down. I also have a two tank system. It also did it before I had the system completly installed. There are a 160,000 miles on it

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
160000 miles on the injectors ? no wonder

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
160K on inj is a little long in tooth, also verify glow system is 100%, no slight on you to running veggie, it's just that those who choose to run it come cold weather time seem to report in with cold start issues when the thermometer heads to the lower numbers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would bet one or more of your glow plugs isn't working. When its really cold, even one glowplug not working will cause that cylinder to not fire for a few seconds, dumping partially burned fuel out the exhaust (plenty of smoke), and making the engine run rough until that cylinder starts firing from enough compression heat. For each additional glowplug not working the symptoms are amplified. But you would be surprised how much smoke and rough startup just one bad glowplug can cause when it's cold out. It's not a big deal though, and basically harmless, if it still starts quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.