Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I will be changing the oil in my L5P Dmax for the first time, because I have used up my two (2) free dealer oil changes. From reading several user posts, it appears the L5P is easy on oil just like previous generations of Dmax engines.

The recommended oil viscosity is 15W40 in the Dmax or 5W40 for low temperature applications. Since I live in the South, I will be sticking with conventional 15W40 for year-round use. Rotella T4 15W40 is the oil that I am considering, and I would appreciate any feedback from current Rotella T4 users on how this oil has performed in the Dmax.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rotella has worked well for me. I have heard others state, like dangerfield69, they have more pronounced typewriter tick with Rotella than other brands. For my truck this has not been the case. I have used both T4 and T6 without issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the followup...thanks.

It appears that the infamous Dmax typewriter clicking various from engine to engine. I have read that HDEO brands sometimes affect the typewriter click. Some users have issues with certain brands while others do not have issues at all. So, it's a random occurrence, and it's not relegated to just one brand of HDEO.

In terms of Rotella T4, it's the protection it provides as well as the lack of oil consumption that is of primary importance.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
On my 07 Classic first oil change I asked the dealer what flavor of oil they used for our Dmax’s and they couldn’t tell me offhand. That convinced me to buy my own oil to take in for oil changes so I new what’s going in.
Rotella T4 15W40 Was my choice and has worked well. Buy it at TSC 2 1/2 gal. when on sale for $30
I also bring in my own ACDelco filter and save another $10

·
Registered
940 Posts
I appreciate the followup...thanks.

It appears that the infamous Dmax typewriter clicking various from engine to engine. I have read that HDEO brands sometimes affect the typewriter click. Some users have issues with certain brands while others do not have issues at all. So, it's a random occurrence, and it's not relegated to just one brand of HDEO.

In terms of Rotella T4, it's the protection it provides as well as the lack of oil consumption that is of primary importance.
:agreed:

Rotella is all we ever used on farm

:2cents::2cents:

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
I will be changing the oil in my L5P Dmax for the first time, because I have used up my two (2) free dealer oil changes. From reading several user posts, it appears the L5P is easy on oil just like previous generations of Dmax engines.

The recommended oil viscosity is 15W40 in the Dmax or 5W40 for low temperature applications. Since I live in the South, I will be sticking with conventional 15W40 for year-round use. Rotella T4 15W40 is the oil that I am considering, and I would appreciate any feedback from current Rotella T4 users on how this oil has performed in the Dmax.
It's what I used almost exclusively while it was my daily driver. Since it's dropped down to less than 6,000 miles a year, I run any synthetic diesel oil of 15W or 5W - 40. Now, I change it every year or longer worry free, going by the DIC time to change or as 2 years is near (often with less than 6,600 miles on it). But I would not suggest this long of time intervals for folks whose trucks are in more humid environments where moisture can build up just from the ambient air.

In that time, I probably have to add 1 to 2 quarts.

And I know that the age old debate over oil brands will live on long after I don't. But I still ask folks, "when was the last time you (or anybody you know) had to replace an engine because you used the wrong brand of engine oil. :think:

I find it a meaningless debate, but I wanted to play anyhow :p:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Here is a test of long (one year) oil change. Also a good comparison of Rotella T6 against Delo 400 XSP. Spoiler: The Rotella won. In a previous test, Rotella T6 beat Mobile 1.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Here is a test of long (one year) oil change. Also a good comparison of Rotella T6 against Delo 400 XSP. Spoiler: The Rotella won. In a previous test, Rotella T6 beat Mobile 1.

https://youtu.be/T-yt5a1cWd4
Knowing they both "passed", I feel even better about my routine. Thanks :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts