Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Were switching our fleet to Rotella T Synthetic Because of our new price $9.50 per gallon not bad. Where still going to change our fleets oil around 5,000 mark. The Real Q's Now. How much better is Synthetic lots of people tell me its the best move we can make. I'm from the old School..

Can We use this oil in our Gas Fleet Engines We have Cheys Gas Trucks. Can you use a Diesel oil in a Gasser >>

From steve
Fleet Owner

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Most diesel oil is rated a 5-40 ora 15-40 and a gas engine is typically a 5 or 10-30. The API ratings are also different. I dont think its a good idea to use the oil to cover both worlds.

You switch to synthetic, you could push your changes to 7500 mark with Rotella. some may say more, but thats up to you. I think you could go 15-20k on a quality oil from a place in MO. Cost a few pennies more per gallon, but if your changes get cut in half....

·
Registered
36 Posts
smartfix, I was also wondering about the same thing, if you can use a diesel oil in a gasser since this would simplify my oil purchases. One oil for all my cars...gas or diesel. What a concept! (well, actually I already started by putting Delvac 1 in my gasser)
The new Mobil 1 for Trucks and SUV's oil (repackaged Delvac 1, I read in another thread) is also being pitched as an excellent oil for gas engines on the back lavel.
If Mobil is recommending Delvac 1, a diesel oil, for heavy duty use in gas engines, that's good enough for me.
You would think that Shell's Rotella T synthetic oil would be the same?
Just my .02

·
Registered
663 Posts
For more info on running diesel oil in gassers go over to the BobisTheOilguy.com forums. Many folks over there advocate using diesel engine oils in Gassers. Most (if not all) diesel oils carry both gas and diesel raings.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Bill, Ratings aside... I have a hard time putting an oil that thick in an engine not rated for it.. I have been hearing more and more that people are using that heavy oil in light duty engines.... dunno if I can do that .........Got some boboil reading to do I guess

·
Registered
663 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
Bill, Ratings aside... I have a hard time putting an oil that thick in an engine not rated for it..
Eric,

I agree ... I'm not totally sold on it either. For now I'm still using 5W-30 M-1 in my Impala's 3.4L. However, I've been tempted to try Delvac-1 - it would be nice to buy just buy one oil for the car and the truck. I know several farmers who buy 15w40 in bulk for their diesel tractors and they use the same oil in their gassers - been doing it for years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'll chime in here,i am no expert but for over a year now i have been useing the rotella 5w40 synthetic in my 2000 5.3l gasser (115,000 MILES)my 1993 kawasaki motorcycle,both of my honda aquatrax jetski's(4 strokes),my honda rincon(four wheeler,3000 miles and 315 hrs) and i just switched over my new 2004 d-max to it too...i have had no problems if you read the label it has all the ratings or more than the manufacturers require and the price is right..honda wants a non-energy conserving oil,which is what lead me to find this oil(at the time i was looking no other synthetic with a 5w was non-energy conserving,i still don't think there is another yet)..i still change it regular,my goal was not to extent my changes just find a good oil at a good price and our wally world carries the gallon jugs for 12.88...

i have run regular rotella in my tool truck(international dt466) for over 7 years and 120,000 miles(last check it had 15,000 hrs) with no problems,so i feel their product is good...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just make sure you READ THE OWNERS MANUAL before you change to that thick of an oil. I know the 2.5 litre Suzuki and other motors require the use of very thin oils 0/30 or 5/30. If you use a thicker oil you timing chain tensioners get munched and you're SOL!

ROB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts