Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from my local auto parts store, bought a bottle of

Rotella D.F.A., of course being the pure genious that I am I did not

read the bottle until after I treated my fuel
(dumb ass).

It did not indicate wheather or not it contained alcohol, nor did it

indicate if it was an emulsifier or demulsifier.

Has anyone used Rotella DFA if so do you continue to use it, if not

why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here you go -this is from their website. I use it and have no complaints:

Shell Rotella<SUP>®</SUP> DFA is an all-season diesel fuel additive with advanced additive technology specifically designed for today’s high performance, fuel-efficient, low-emission diesel engines. Using Rotella DFA regularly will help clean-up fuel injectors and other vital engine parts and it provides all season performance by preventing gelling down to -40° F. Rotella DFA contains both a special cold flow improver and a de-icer to enhance the low temperature performance of commercial diesel fuel. Rotella DFA is ashless and does not contain chlorine, alcohol or phosphorus.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Its an emulsifier......I used it for almost a year till I found FPPF Total Power for $68.04 for a case of 12. Was paying $36 for 6 bottles of the Rotella. The Rotella worked good for me. No problems.Edited by: Maverick

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maverick, where do you get for that price?! Thats cheap!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I get a discount from the trucking co. I drive for but the everyday Joe can still get a good price for it. $85.92 for a case of Total Power. $92.76 for a case of 8+ Cetane Improver.

Call Badger Utility Inc. here in Wausau. 1-800-221-5760 or 715-359-8112.

http://www.badger-utility.com

Page 3 of 20 has the FPPF specials..... http://www.badger-utility.com/files/specials.pdfEdited by: Maverick

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
dang Maverick you seem to find all the good deals. I almost had something else you needed to pick up for me, then I saw they have a Waukesha location
so I guess I'll save you a trip on this one.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Maverick said:
Its an emulsifier......I used it for almost a year till I found FPPF Total Power for $68.04 for a case of 12. Was paying $36 for 6 bottles of the Rotella. The Rotella worked good for me. No problems.

Rotella DFA is not an emulsifier.

Rotella has a forum on their website, I asked whether Rotella was an emulsifier or demulsifier on that site :

Question posted by me...

GM has a tech bulletin stating that one should only use a demulsifier and to avoid emulsifiers (for dealing with water in diesel fuel).

The DFA spec sheet says that it "disperses small amounts of harmful water" AND "seperates large amounts of water". "Disperses" sounds like an emulsifier while "seperates" sounds like a demulsifier. Is DFA an emulsifier or demulsifier?

Also, some of the resident experts on another bulletin board that I participate in claim that a demulsifier will cause excessive corrosion (water falls out of suspension and corrodes bottom of tank, fuel filter, etc.) - is this true? Is there any component of DFA that deals with this issue?

They also state that using a demulsifier will ultimately result in engine damage and that the only way to deal with water in fuel is by emulsification.

TechExpert - please enlighten me.

thanks,
jeff

----------------------

Response from Shell :

Jeff –

DFA disperses small amounts of water by virtue of its deicing ability. This means water is attracted by polar additives that disperse it harmlessly in the fuel. This does not result in emulsion formation, or uptake of free water. Being dispersed in the fuel, water cannot form ice crystals that might plug fuel passages. The amount of water is so slight as to not cause harm to injectors (see below).

If fuel containing ROTELLA DFA contacts free water, it will shed that water rather than form an emulsion. In this case, the water remains in the tank bottom as a distinct layer, separate from the fuel. Any free water picked up from the tank will be separated at the filter, where it can be manually drained.

ROTELLA DFA contains corrosion inhibitors that reduce corrosion on steel surfaces, thus protecting tank, lines, and other steel surfaces when water is present.

Free water, or water/fuel emulsion delivered to an injector, can be a disaster. Water is instantly turned to steam with sufficient force to destroy injector tips. Not only is the injector ruined, but metal debris enters the combustion chamber where it can damage pistons and liners, as well as turbocharger fins.

--------------

·
Registered
252 Posts
That reply from an shell tech expert seems to mirror what others have said as to emulsify=bad, demulsify=good in high pressure fuel systems of todays trusks. I assume this is why GM is taking a hard stance against owners using emulsifying additives.

·
Registered
444 Posts
JDTRIP said:
That reply from an shell tech expert seems to mirror what others have said as to emulsify=bad, demulsify=good in high pressure fuel systems of todays trusks.

Uh Oh!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, even if the water is in emulsion it will still "destroy injector tips". If you get a bad batch of gas with alot of water, if you run an emulsifier additive , then all that water makes it to the injectors and you risk serious damage to your engine.

For those that worry about rust at the bottom of the fuel filter -> The other point is that the corrosion inhibitors in Rotella DFA will reduce/prevent corrosion when free water settles out in tank/filter, etc.

The upcoming "GM approved" Racor pre-filter with water trap is sounding better and better to me. Two levels of water seperation with WIF and Heat on both filter units. I'll probably go with the supplied 10 micron aquablock filter.

jeff

·
Registered
187 Posts
So than Rotella DFA is ok to use.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes. it contains a demulsifier and contains no alcohol. It does not contain an emulsifier for dealing with water. GM recommends avoiding alcohol and emulsifiers to avoid engine damage.

jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm relatively new to this forum and diesel engines; but after hearing this I went out to the Primrose 405 product site because folks on this board have said so many good things about it - and it specifically indicated on the product's website that it has an emulsifier in it.

These products all swear to enhance the life/economy of your diesel engine. I'd like to hear what some of you 'seasoned' diesel owners think of Primrose. Should it be avoided specifically because of it's emulsifier?

Thanks in advance to your response.

·
Registered
65 Posts
rod97301 said:
I'm relatively new to this forum and diesel engines; but after hearing this I went out to the Primrose 405 product site because folks on this board have said so many good things about it - and it specifically indicated on the product's website that it has an emulsifier in it.

These products all swear to enhance the life/economy of your diesel engine. I'd like to hear what some of you 'seasoned' diesel owners think of Primrose. Should it be avoided specifically because of it's emulsifier?

Go to search and type in "emulsifiers" in the Search for block, and click on "Message Body" in the next block. You'll get 3 months worth of very intelligent argument on the subject.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am glad this came up about Rotella DFA; I have been using for about a year now. A couple of times I forgot to add it and I can litterally hear a difference in engine sound. I think it is a good product and I also use their motor oil. Since we are ossue

·
Registered
30 Posts
Finishing my post since my computer freaked out,I was going to say I change the fuel filter about every 8000 miles. ESMO

·
Registered
444 Posts
esmo77 said:
Finishing my post since my computer freaked out... ESMO

Are you using the right additive in your computer?

·
Registered
410 Posts
dmax lover..nice posts...its good to read clarity in what you write...cuz it gets pretty confusing with all the scientology surrounding petroleum, additives etc. Like you, i am searching hard to find the right products to abide by manufacturers recommendations and safeguard my engine. thanks alot Jeff..

·
Registered
693 Posts
jbh2000 said:
rod97301 said:

Go to search and type in "emulsifiers" in the Search for block, and click on "Message Body" in the next block. You'll get 3 months worth of very intelligent argument on the subject.
The thing that the tech rep from shell corporation adds to the previous "intelligent discussions" is that water in emulsion will seriously damage the injectors; The previous discussions assume that only free water can damage the injectors.

Given that this is the case, how can anyone defend the use of an emulsifying additive now? If you disagree - don't shoot the messenger - feel free to trek on over to the rotella site and post on the forum there - the shell techrep usually responds within a day or two.

I'll be buying shell rotella DFA; Stanadyne looks good too and blending the performance formula and the lubricity formula is tempting... Frankly, I like the shell rotella better simply because they don't make alot of wild claims.

jeff

1 - 20 of 42 Posts