Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to rotate tires on a dually? I mean the cost to rotate them every 7500 will add up to almost the cost of new tires. This is my first dually and I don't know if is going to worth it to rotate them.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
If you want maximum tread wear ,yes .... Bring inside rears up front ,same side .... Slide outside rear in and bring fronts back to outside rear ...

FourXFour front tires take a beating ....

Mac

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Have em do it at oil changes...and its not that pricey.....And you don't need to do it every 7500miles imho.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Figure this one out: Sears charges to rotate the tires on a dually even if you buy the tires from them. I believe it's about $17 each time. However, if you buy the tires and buy the performance balance (they don't like to call it a lifetime balance anymore), the balance is for the life of the tire. Since they have to remove the tires to balance them it would make sense that they could just rotate them while they are off. Might be worth arguing if anyone has purchased their tires from Sears.Edited by: Notsdale

·
Registered
612 Posts
have followed the 7 tire rotation pattern in the owner's manual every 5,000 ... most of the time do the rotation myself ... had tires rebalanced at about 25,000 .... currently have 47,000+ and tires appear to be good for another 20,000 or so miles

Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
It cost a lot more when you have aftermarket rims and the the tires have to be broke down and swapped over.

Scott

·
Registered
65 Posts
Road Boss...don't they have Wal-Marts out there on the shaky side? $7.50 for lifetime rotation and balance. I've had mine done every 5K since I bought the truck, using the 7-tire rotation from the manual, and with 45,000 on them, they look like they'll go another 15K or so if I have the nerve to run them that long. Best $51.50 I ever spent.

·
Registered
448 Posts
FWIW some Walmarts will play with Dooleys, some won't. I've been rotating My stock Goodyears, (6 tires) have about 70,000 on them. They probably should be replaced, but I think I'll run em for another 5,000 or so.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Yeah the Wal-Marts around here won't touch a dooley. For what it is worth rotate'em. At 20K I noticed uneven wear on the fronts. $370 later, I now rotate my tires.

JP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Must be a Texas thing.
Everybody and his brother drives a dually down here so the Wally Worlds usually just jack 'em up and do them. Of course, you usually need to break out the manual for them and it pays to watch them do it. Usually takes them a couple of hours, and I know they stopped making any money on mine after the first couple of rotations, but they keep on doing them.Edited by: jbh2000

·
Registered
52 Posts
Question from a newbie, especially to dually use. What pressure do you run? I need to get extenders for my dually's so I can read them and adjust when needed but I am not sure where to set them. I've heard some folks run them all (F&R) at max rated pressure regardless of the load. My previous ride was a 2500HD and I pumped them up for towing or hauling and back to about 55 for normal running. I tow a 14,500# fiver with about 2800" pin load so it made a difference with the 2500. I will tow firsttime this weekend with the new one as I just hit 1000 miles. It will only be a couple hours pull, just to test it and give the engine a bit of a "welcome" load. Then I'll change the oil and go from there.

Thanks in advance, Zeke

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have my dually tires rotated 5-8K miles depending where I am when traveling. I buy my tires at Discount Tire and rotation is free (also flats).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts