Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
The other day I posted a thread "Screwed Up Wheel/Tire Rotation by Dealership" and had a few responses. I had admin take down post because I didn't have the correct information. Since then I went to the dealership and asked how they rotated the wheels/tires. I was told that the front wheels were brought to the rear and the rear outers were brought to the front. The front wheels were basically turned around and placed on the rear outer position. That is why the rim/wheel was so dirty (brake dust) on the rear wheels. Nothing was done with the inner rear wheels. This rotation method is not as instructed by the manual. In addition it states that these wheels cannot be rotated to another position, but can be moved from left to right in the same position. One of the service guys argues that that's the way they always have done it on dualliys here and the other places he's worked for the last 20 yrs. Hummm, so who do I believe, what the manual states of how they have done where he's worked? According to the manual each tire set is unique. See attachment or pic of what manual states. Is there a need for concern on the way they rotated the tires or not? I appreciate some advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
Does that mean my post is gone?

They are to be rotated per the manual's polished wheel instructions.

And, yes, there are three different rims on there.
The ones that came on the front are polished only on the convex side.
The rear outers are polished only on the concave side.
And the rear inners aren't polished st all.

Big rigs have been that way since polished aluminum wheels were introduced.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
That's good to know how they're supposed to be rotated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I couldn't find any trace of the original post to include replies. Maybe you could look at "My Replies" at the drop down menu and find it there.
The rear inner wheels are steel and I believe that the spare tire would be mounted on the same wheel as those inners.
I'll be taking my truck back so they can be done right.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
I had posted this from your owner's manual.

Attachments

Reactions: 491242

·
Registered
849 Posts
#1 firm believer that tire rotation is good and can prolong.tire life.

And if I had Steelies on my dually I would.
https://www.michelintruck.com/assets/pdf/bulletins/TB_ProperDirectionalTires.pdf

But for alloys,
Seems like a lot of work for little gain.

What about directional tread?

If your rear duals are wearing uneven you have bigger issues!

Usually your wear issues are front alignment and cornering on the front which is why swapping front to rear makes sense on normal rotations.

My rule on tires is 5yrs or 50% tread gone, I get new ones.

The 2002 had brand new “grandpa” style hiway tires when I got it 1/17...I hate them and don’t think they make it past this winter.

Reactions: 491242

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discount tire actually dismounts the tires from the wheels when doing a tire rotation on my dually.
The front to rear outters and then next time the front to rear inners.
Seems like a lot of work to me.

Reactions: 69project

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rambos, I understand the reasoning on the front to rear rotation due to the cornering etc., but my concern is that the manual states (see above exert that heymccall posted) that each wheel set is unique and can't be moved to another position but from left to right.

I use my truck mainly to move my 5er/toy hauler around the country (being a full timer) and I check my air pressure early in the morning before a move and keep a close eye on all my tires (truck and trailer).

·
Premium Member
17,934 Posts
The tires aren't the issue. They can be left where your dealer put them, if you desire to ignore the polished on one side only appearance of the rims.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If, all components are in good shape most of the wear seen will usually be on outside edge of front tire. That said the only way to minimize wear is F to R. GM just says side to side due to wheel finish.
As with DWRAT, I have mine broke down and rotated correctly so the wheels stay in place

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
IMO there is a few schools of thought on tire rotation on a dually, but it also all goes out the window when polished rims are involved.

I would never move a front wheel to the rear or back to the front for no reason other than protecting the finish on the rims.

What I do is buy new ones for the front when they get choppy, and once I have two pairs, mount them up on the rear, or since I run 235/85R16, I just end up putting the choppy pair on the rear of my 3/4 ton if it needs a pair.

Reactions: heymccall
1 - 11 of 11 Posts