Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 extnd cab. When I hit 70+ mph (and when wind is gusty) I get the roof popping and buckling. Its really annoying. The dealer doesnt have a clue.

Any one heard of this or is there a fix? Also if you shut the doors with the windows closed/open in the right position it will do it.Edited by: problemchild

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The crew cabs do it worse. You mean with windows open? If so, what I do is change the windows (open more or less) till it stops.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That's because these are "commercial grade" trucks....along with the plastic front bumpers.....next plastic beds and tin foil bodies. Don't fret my 2000 CC Ford wasn't much better.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Are you sure it is not an accesorie you installed, such as a bug sheild or other?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
The roof "buffets" when all your windows are open and you're doing like 70 mph.

If they shaped the roof like a school bus it wouldn't do it but many SUV's an large roofed trucks do it. It's cause it's pretty flat with only the formed ribs and some under-ribbing to keep it stiff. Not enough. It can get pretty annoying and you can literally see the roof shaking up and down.Edited by: hoot

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
It is just strange some do it and some don't. The techs usaully have a fix for real problems.Assumin this is a defect from the factory, have you ever tryed those vents that go around your windows. I have been in vehicles with those before. You can drive in the rain with the windows down. They do a great job of keeping air out. They even look good on some trucks.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Of all the trucks I've had in last 6 years none have done the roof noise/movement.

When we stamp the roofs the panels are done in a stretch/draw dies which stresses the metal and gives it the strength.

I've never had the headliner out but I wonder if they 'glue' the roof bows/reinforcements in and maybe they have come loose.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to pull the headliner and put that expanding foam in between it and the roof to act as a brace.

I dont think I should have to do it since its under warranty.

But If I bring it in I have to yank the edge. Other things need fixing too. The rear springs growl and thump when the body shifts side to side.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I just chang how much one of the windows is open and it stops

·
Registered
410 Posts
my bro in law complained a bout this in his sierra...i told him it was the motor kickin' in !! now i will have to tellem it was the ROOF ??

·
Registered
341 Posts
wow - I've never noticed it (maybe my long bed on my crew cab is deflecting all the air - lol).

When the snow melts & we can go faster than 50mph I'll have to check it.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Hoot,

I have to apoligize. I stated that my truck roof never buffets. I lied. To tell you the truth I had never really driven at highway speeds with the windows down before. Today I was going 80MPH on the interstate and I rolled my window down to see if I could get my camper style mirror to quit vibrating. I was looking down at the mirror when I heard a loud boom. The noise happened a few more times. It was the front of the roof for sure. I do have a bug sheild that has given me other problems such as windshield ticking and vibrating camper mirrors. I duno if the bug shield is agravating the roof. Just put it on the ever growing list of items, I would of built better if I owned GM.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Try going thru a car wash with it, the roof waffles like crazy when you go into blow dry mode.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have had the extended cab and now own a crew cab...I will Never purchase another extended cab for one simple reason-The roof on the extended cab is about as strong as sundays paper. There is no support at all. I use a truck/suv soft brush to wash my trucks and the brush with no weight is enough to press down the sheet metal on the roof
. Now on the crew cab they put the support bends in the sheet metal...no buffeting at all.

Smokeymax

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bronco,

What bug sheild do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My extended cab does it only with the camper on and you
roll a window down.{really noisey!} But only at freeway
speeds..

·
Registered
85 Posts
My extended cab roof did the same thing at 55mph on up. Not to mention the automatic carwash. Between the roof popping, the air noise and the doors rattling (had the truck in the shop 6 times to try and get the extra doors to quit rattling). I traded for a crew cab and couldn't be happier. It's quieter and more solid. No more wind noise or sonic booms at highway speeds. Windows up or down makes no difference, all is good.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Neither my 2000 nor my dad's 200 do that.. Yet another thing I can use to try and convince myself I don't really need that duramax.. Probably won't do any good though..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts