Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
from a standstill, if i floor it, she'll smoke good for maybe 3 seconds before it starts to clear up. and its not consistent. sometimes itll be rich black smoke, other times itll be just gray smoke.

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
from a standstill, if i floor it, she'll smoke good for maybe 3 seconds before it starts to clear up. and its not consistent. sometimes itll be rich black smoke, other times itll be just gray smoke.
To me, sounds like normal turbo lag smoke.

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
3 seconds is a bit long in my experiences. I have a hard time getting 1 second, even standing on it from a dead stop with my trailer on, an even then it's only a light puff, not even steady.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my seconds are pretty long. itll go for at least 3 legit seconds. maybe a bit more. ill have to get a video up sometime

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Check your pre turbo exhaust for leaks - especially the crossover - it sounds like you are having a delay spooling the turbo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Black smoke.

Just bought a new camper and went camping this weekend towing the boat, right when I left the house first big hill no power and tons of black smoke drove about 400 kms there and back every hill more black smoke but got way better on the way back. Great thread i know what to look for now, thanks guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Black smoke

Oh ya and the check engine light was coming on sometimes on some of the hills but not all the temperature was ok it did climb on some of the longer hills.I'm going to check for codes this afternoon when I get off work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh ya and the check engine light was coming on sometimes on some of the hills but not all the temperature was ok it did climb on some of the longer hills.I'm going to check for codes this afternoon when I get off work.
was the SES light flickering?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Black smoke

The ses light wasn't flickering but on some of the longer hills it did come on for the duration of the climb then went out after I reached the top of the hill... or soon after I crested the hill. I did notice the black smoke got a little better on the drive home, I had it on cruse and going up the hills when it shifted down to 3rd from OD it started smoking. I was going to diagnose it tonight but I broke my ankle today at work.... Drats!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
mine flickers and i cannot figure out why. the shop couldnt get any codes out of it or even communicate with it for that matter. they tried 2 different computers. one day it came on solid and i took it to advance and got 2 codes from it.

As for the smoke, when im going up an incline on the freeway, ill get a steady stream of smoke if its not steep enough for the engine to downshift. but if it does downshift, the smoke clears up

·
Super Moderator A Country Boy Can Survive...
14,347 Posts
Guys please do me a favor. Lets keep this thread what it originally was, and that's a sticky with information.

Please keep all further posts to normal threads just so the stickies do not get cluttered up.

Thanks,

- Dave

Reactions: 1995dieseburban

·
Registered
60 Posts
im gonna throw my useless 2cents up. In my opinion a slight haze on full acceleration is acceptable, because you know your using all the fuel you can. Now a full on stream of thick black means its off time to de fuel or up grade air or fix some other problem. now when a diesel is under load or bogged down its gonna smoke which usually points to the guy behind the wheel.
As far as competition trucks are concerned, theyre gonna run massive amounts of fuel because 1) they know their gettin all the power they can 2)egts arent as big a concern because their only runnin 300ft, or a 1/4mile. Thats how i see it, but everyone see things different

Reactions: 1995dieseburban

·
Just Horsing Around
17,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok, locking this thread since replies being made on it now really should be in new threads.

If anyone has any related issues, please start a new thread and post there.

Thanks

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.