Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about or have used this system on a GMC 3500 DRW, it's called the RoadTamer by Air Lift. I need a little better ride in the rear. Thanks...GBY....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I run Airlift bags with the on board compressor. I removed the overload leaf spring essentially making it the same as a 2500HD and run 20 psi in the bags unloaded for a lot smoother ride unloaded. When I hitch up the fifth wheel I run 60 to 70 psi in the bags and it rides nice and level with a decent ride. If you look at the towing capacities on the Chevy web site there isn't much difference between a 3500 and a 2500HD. The dealer told me that the overload spring was the only difference between the two trucks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Subscribing. I am curious about them as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
i've been looking at them myself. i will be towing a 5er after my 3500 gets
built. it will be one of the first extra's i get. if you get it done, put up a
post.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm also interested. Tomcatinc may have the best solution. I had airlift bags on my previous truck (2003 2500HD) and liked them a lot.
Dave

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I run Airlift bags with the on board compressor. I removed the overload leaf spring essentially making it the same as a 2500HD and run 20 psi in the bags unloaded for a lot smoother ride unloaded. When I hitch up the fifth wheel I run 60 to 70 psi in the bags and it rides nice and level with a decent ride. If you look at the towing capacities on the Chevy web site there isn't much difference between a 3500 and a 2500HD. The dealer told me that the overload spring was the only difference between the two trucks.
2500HD's also have an overload spring. Makes it ride a little stiff in the rear.

I was thinking of doing the same thing you did on your 3500.

·
Registered
612 Posts
shortly after purchasing our '02 3500 I had the longest removable rear spring taken out of each side or our truck ... doing so really improved the empty ride ... I then added AirLift Air Bags with onboard compressor which more that makeup for the load capacity lost from removing those springs ... this mod has served us well for over 100,000 miles

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts