Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed to Arizona via Kansas hauling a 12000 lb 5th wheel. I'm getting about 7.5 mpg. Was hoping for at least 10. The good thing is we held a steady 65-70 mph, the duramax really hauls. Can see a 6th gear between 4&5 would be nice. At 70 mph in 4th I'm turning 3000, in 5th it's 2200. Couldn't hold 5th except on level going with no wind. Do you guys think hauling in 5th is a bad idea? Don't want to push it over 3000 rpm for extended periods.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh ...Merry Chritmas all

·
Registered
165 Posts
RMAX,

If you aren't running a JUICE and Guage setup you should consider it. You will stay in 5th on all but the steepest of hills, run cooler and quieter and get closer to the 10 mpg you seek by staying out of 4th gear. 3000 rpm won't hurt the engine but it eats fuel. Hualing heavy in 5th is only bad if the heat goes up (therefore the guages).

We pull to Utah from Texas each year (about 12500# 5th wheel) and the Juice is the answer.

Happy Holidays,
BobEdited by: Son of a gun

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob

THanks for the input. I've heard of JUICE but know nothing about it. I'll have some downtime in Arizona this winter so hope to look into it. What do you monitor for temps that the oem guages don't?

·
Registered
165 Posts
RMAX,

The Juice is the power upgrade that I bought after a lot of research. There are others that folks here also like. You can do some looking at edgeproducts.com.

The OEM guages do not measure the temperature of the exhaust. When you add a power box or chip you need to do that because more power makes more heat. You do not want to exceed (lots of discussion on this, but I think --) 1300 degrees if you are measuring at the exhaust manifold. I did not exceed that on my way to Utah, even on 8% grades, though I did see 1275 a couple of times. When you buy a guage, like the SPA Digital which is the one I bought (available from Kennedydiesel.com and others) you must tap into the exhaust manifold to insert the temp. probe. It sounds hard but isn't. Kennedy can walk you through it or any competent mechanic can do it for you.

This is the single best upgrade you can do if you tow heavy. A 4" exhaust helps move the heat out faster and is another good idea in my opinion.

Regards and good RVing.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts