Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am most likely about to buy a 2008 2500HD. I have always been a Ford man but don't want the 6.4. I like the duramax/allison a lot but don't love the looks of the truck. The two issues I have with it are the rims and tires and the exhaust pipe. I can replace the exhaust tip no problem. What options are there for rims and tires to replace the factory ones without doing any lift, etc? I want something like the stock 20" rims Ford offers - they look good and are not too big for the stock truck - anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Better not replace just the tip. That tip is there to cool the exaust and without you would probaly burn the paint off the bed side. There are many options for wheels.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ford's optional 20" rims come with a 275-65-20 tire. That is like a 34" tire. It wouldn't fit a stock GM. I'm a Ford guy too, but I got tired of all the issue with the 6.0PSD and decided to go with a GM. You will lose the king of the road feeling you get in the Ford, but the GM is simply more comfortable. I never had a 6.4L, but I've had two 6.0's and two 7.3's (2003, 2003, 2000, 1999), and I can tell you that the power in the LMM is much greater than those engines. It doesn’t even feel like the engine is even working to pull my 9500lbs toy hauler. I too like the Fords, but I'm really happy with my GMC thus far, and would buy another tomorrow if I had too. GM puts tiny tires on these things, and it makes them look much more like a wimpy truck than it is. The GM is much more civilized (like driving a Tahoe with balls). The biggest disappointment with the GMC has been the small fuel tank (fixed that), the wimpy tires (soon to be fixed), and the Allison doesn’t have the as powerful trailer braking that the torqshift does. The Allison is much better though at everything else. Unlike the Ford you can lock it out of any of the gears. That part is great. Good Luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll put a DPF back exhaust from MBRP which has the venturi holes cut in it before the tip.

Any idea what size and spec rims/tires I can run? Like size, offset, backspacing, etc?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Read the "sticky" in the "wheel and tire" sections. It you new to this site they are like the first five posts at the top of the section. One of them discusses tires, and what hits and what fits.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just put 20-inch rims on my NBS. The tires are 305/55, means 33.2 inches tall, and everything fits without any lift. In fact, the rear has been dropped by two inches. They fit with only minor rubbing at full lock by the tire's outside shoulder, in reverse. It just touches where the fender curls under ahead of the door hinges, with no rubbing at any suspension pieces. These wheels are +25 offset, keeping the tire almost completely under the fender. See my garage for pix.

The thing is, upsizing from the factory's 30.5" to 33" imposes a significant gearing change. Doing over again, I would choose a 32" tall ... say 285/55/20. But I wanted the Scorpion ATR with an "E" rating, which has very positive feedback over at TireRack, including wet traction and snow, but the Scorpion is only available as a 305. If you like the look and live in NorCal, make an offer so I can downsize. The whole package, rims and tires, just 1,000 miles so far ... was was 2.5 D-bucks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, your truck looks great! I ordered 18X9 Helo's with 285/60/18E Nitto's. I think they will fit fine and should look good enough. I wanted a little bigger tire but decided to stay safe (these are 31.5X11.5 and the wheels have 18mm offset).

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good choices. Be sure to post some pictures ...
and, maybe update your signature with details on the truck?

P.S. I decided I can't really make any changes. E-rated tires are very rare for 20-inch rims.
. . . your 18s are a good choice for both size & for the cost of the meats.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
you can see the pics in my garage for mine. although it isn't the new body style like the 08 and you can see what fits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts