Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find laws pertaining to carrying a gun in a commercila vehicle. I drive an Isuzu FTR with under the 26k GVWR and i also have a Georgia firearms license. There are some times when I have to sleep in my truck and i would like to be able to protect myself if necessary, but I have been told guns are a no-no in a commercial vehicle, but can't find the specific law.

· Registered
10,333 Posts
It varies from state to state. Some states recognize others concealed carry permits and others do not. Most of the northern states, NY, Pa, NJ, dont recognize ANYTHING from below the Mason Dixon line...

· Registered
5,650 Posts
What if you get caught in a non complient state with a legal handgun and an out of state carry permit?

· Registered
5,012 Posts
I didn't think D.O.T. alowed guns in commercial vehicle's period.Kinda like a radar detector.

· Registered
10,333 Posts
BERK;1541931; said:
What if you get caught in a non complient state with a legal handgun and an out of stste carry permit?

Get arrested and arraigned. Weapon is taken and ultimately destroyed.

In a non compliant state, that permit means nothing. It merely says that yes, you have a permit and yes its legal for me to carry in X state. Lawyers expect these guys to know this before entering the state. I dont get it.

Not real fair if you ask me but it happens every day. These truckers travel far with lots of $$$ worth of their loads so I understand where they're coming from.

· Registered
5,650 Posts
What if you are transporting?

· Registered
5,650 Posts
Both.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand that some states recognize Georgia's gun laws and those are the states that I would carry in. I have just heard that guns are a no-no in commercial vehicles, but I can't find a specific law to back it up. I know that ignorance of the law is no excuse, but if you can't find anything prohibiting guns in a big truck after hours and hours of searching, then what am I supposed to do.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
Unit453;1541982; said:
Transporting what?

Ammo, firearms?
If this question is about ammo or firearms as cargo the driver probably has nothing. We loaded 150 M-16's, heavy machine guns, M-60 and M-2's into the back of a semi leaving amilitary fort. We asked if they carried. The husband/ wife team said no. They are bonded and insured with satelite tracking. Deviate from the course and johnny law is notified.

A trucker friend in an old reserve unit of mine hauled a load of empty containers military rockets are transported in. Even though they were empty his load was sealed. When he got to the weapons plant to unload they broke the seal and found a full load of rockets. He said there were some very uptight people running around wondering how it occured.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SaguaroKid;1542501; said:
How about a flare gun, it's for safety?

I can the headlines now "Man shoots at intruder with flare gun, burns truck to ground along with rest area and 400 acres of nature preserve." :p:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.