Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use the search function

dmax power-up kits

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My diesel mechanic told me a couple weeks ago that they spent an entire Thursday morning watching videos about power-up kits and what to look for.

·
Registered
326 Posts
use the search function

dmax power-up kits
Yeah, I found that, but my player wont' play it, so I had to read the transcript. Basically, if they can prove you added HP, the service writer will deny warranty work. Can't really say that i blame them, but it sucks for us "recreational users". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Very interesting....

Videos require IE 5.5 or higher and allow popups for the site.
Very good quality streaming video.

I noticed in the "things to look for" they didn't list holes in the block where the oil filter is supposed to be :D

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
That stuff about the Jan 07 Dmax sounds interesting. Wonder if they add stuff like that to fail early once performance upgrades are installed. Also wonder how long it will take before someone on here bypasses that too!

·
Registered
28 Posts
That stuff about the Jan 07 Dmax sounds interesting. Wonder if they add stuff like that to fail early once performance upgrades are installed. Also wonder how long it will take before someone on here bypasses that too!
Defintately an iteresting video...

What about the bit about the team looking at inserting code into the software that would 'flag' when the customer puts a power-up module on the truck? How much is that going to raise the MSRP by? I understand GM's need to protect their warranty interests, but they're using our (consumer's) dollars to pay for all their warranty-denial training and powerup-catching 'upgrades'. I guess they're answer to that is the money spent there is less than the money spent rebuilding motors under warranty...

Who knows???

:rant:

·
Registered
54 Posts
What other dollars would they use?
Why should they warranty something that someone screws up? Where do you fairly draw the line? If the truck wasn't engineered for it and they didn't represent that it was when you bought it why should they cover it with warranty?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Because just the fact that a downloader or other power-up has been installed is not legally enough reason to simply void the warranty and refuse service.

It is the manufacturer's responsibility to prove that the aftemarket accessories installed caused the failure. That IS the law.

I don't have a problem if GM wants to deny warranty repair when I punch a piston through my pan running 700hp.

I *DO* have a problem with them refusing to replace a failed injector or turbo just because their software sensed that a downloader had been used, when there is no way that a downloader on tow/econ producing no more than 25psi of boost could impact the longevity of either system.

Look at it this way.... the '06 LLY is 100% identical to an '06 LBZ EXCEPT in the programming. GM had not completed testing on the LBZ in time to meet the launch date for the '06 model year, so the VINs were assigned a "2" engine code and the ECMs were detuned to 310hp.
Running a downloader on tow/econ does not push power levels beyond that of a stock LBZ (perhaps the reason that '06 LBZ owners, but not LLY owners, got warning letters in the mail informing them that a downloader would hurt their tranny).

DirecTV did something similar a few years ago. People would hack the older cards to unlock all 999 channels (including PPV).
What somebody noticed after a while was that there was one bit located near the beginning of the card that changed from a "0" to a "1" when a card was programmed, and even a complete restoration of the card to "stock" did not reset this bit.
One day, a whole lot of cards quit working... even cards that had been returned to their original legitimate programming. DTV uploaded a new program that looked at this bit... if it was a "1", the card self-destructed.

In this case, it was perfectly legal, for a couple of reasons....
1 - DTV owned not only the code on the card, but under the terms of the EULA, they retained ownership of the CARD.
2 - Modification of the contents of the card or creating and using a card for the purposes of obtaining subscription services without payment is a Federal crime.
So getting "free" TV is illegal, but even modification of the card itself was a violation of the user's contract with DTV (but not illegal).

In GM's case, they do own the code in the ECM, but they have no control over what the user does with the hardware, since there is no EULA that we signed when we purchased our trucks that gave GM any rights to the hardware.
The only way that GM would have a legal leg to stand on would be if it were found that the code loaded by a downloader were reverse-engineered from GM code. It is in fact illegal to modify another party's software and release it as your own.

In the case of plug-in boxes, they are merely modifying signals, not actually replacing code.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What other dollars would they use?
Why should they warranty something that someone screws up? Where do you fairly draw the line? If the truck wasn't engineered for it and they didn't represent that it was when you bought it why should they cover it with warranty?
My statement (ok, my rant) wasn't supposed to be knocking GM for doing what they're doing, its just about the sad state that this situation has come to. The average customer who buys the truck because it does what he wants (in stock form) has to pay for those who decide to mod their truck and pawn their self-induced problems off on everyone else that buys a GM product (by trying to fraud GM, intentionally or not, into paying for the repairs their mod's caused or contributed to). Not only that, but we're all paying for GM to train their techs to be detectives to try and uncover this fraud. You are paying for the Banks/Bullydog/etc. -vs- GM battle.

Sad stuff...

I don't have anything agains the modders, heck, it's your truck... but don't go crying to GM if it breaks. It raises the MSRP of the next truck you buy, AND causes the GM to be even more suspicious of every problem that crops up. Maybe the answer should be to reduce the cost of the vehicles and provide no warranty at all, or make the warranty an option on a new vehicle...

·
Registered
28 Posts
since there is no EULA that we signed when we purchased our trucks that gave GM any rights to the hardware.
I bet that day is coming soon. I remember hearing that the auto industry is the single biggest user of computer chips in the world.

Here, sign this purchase contract, odometer statement, warranty statement, and this software EULA ....
:lol:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Rich,
Good luck. Your gonna need it.
Why? I'm not racing or pushing excess power... my engine rarely sees the high side of 2,000rpm.

I have no reason to believe that anything is going to break... especially since the tow/econ tune that I am running produces less power than a stock LBZ.

The '06 LBZ owners all got warning letters indicating that tuners could hurt their trannies... '06 LLY owners did not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just can't understand why anyone wants to increase the power in these trucks anyway. My truck has an unbelieveable amount of power, if i had wanted something that would fly down the road like a jet i would have kept the vette that i traded. The only downside i saw to the HD were the wimmpy tires which i replaced with 265's. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I just can't understand why anyone wants to increase the power in these trucks anyway. My truck has an unbelieveable amount of power, if i had wanted something that would fly down the road like a jet i would have kept the vette that i traded. The only downside i saw to the HD were the wimmpy tires which i replaced with 265's. Just my opinion.
The same reason - too much is never enough. The current vettes are 400hp base, but there are quite a few 800-1000hp cars out there.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
My only reason for buying the tuner was to correct the speedo for the 285's.
I played with the performance tune until I put it on the dyno, then backed it down to tow/econ, since you can't adjust the speedo without having at least the base level tune installed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't get into the site, it tells me that I have to go to gmtraining.com and of course they want all your info.. am I missing something?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I can't get into the site, it tells me that I have to go to gmtraining.com and of course they want all your info.. am I missing something?

Whatever your missing I am missing, I have the same problem its asking for some kind of GM training ID and password.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts