Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who had a 2001-2007 and a 2007.5 and up New Body Style, do the newer trucks ride any better than the older ones?

I need to update my signature, but my truck now sports 18" rims, and Michelin tires, along with Bilstein shocks. Also now has the Z71 yellow jounce bumpers, stock ride height up front, 2" drop shackles in back.

When it's loaded, it rides like a car. When it's empty, it's a bit rough.

I'm wondering if GM came up with any better suspension geometry to enhance the ride characteristics. Thinking about moving to a newer truck, but then again, not really if it doesn't ride any better.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
IIRC 2000-2013 have the same running gear underneath. Other then shocks and tires, same old same old..

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
There were some subtle changes over the years like tracking width but for the most part the GM IFS design hasn't changed much over the years. The front diff was changed on the HD's in 2011 and it is still the same front diff in the 2016's. As far as stock ride characteristics go, there have been some changes as well over the years, but it's still basically the same.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that's certainly a bummer. I've seen several 2011 Denalis that were in a price range I'd be willing to pay, and was hoping the ride was a bit smoother.

I guess it'll be a few more years before I can afford a truck with the 2015+ magnetic ride control. 2015 GMC Sierra Denali Adds Magnetic Ride Control for Smooth Ride - Autotrader

Did they fix the pump rub in the transfer case at any point, or is that still an issue?

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The chassis is the same from '01 to '10. As you found out, the chassis was all new in '11, only carry-over parts were the sway bar end-links.

The magnetic suspension is only available in half-ton trucks.

If you are looking for a nice smooth ride, a truck with a GVWR of 10K+ pounds is not the vehicle you should be looking at.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
3,455 Posts
I'll add my $0.02 here. No difference in the 03 gasser and the 05 duramax, both 2500HD's. The 08 3500HD dually rides better than either of them (even empty)
I've ridden as passenger for 200 miles in a 2014 3500 SRW and it is quite smooth and comfortable. Maybe it is just a feel thing, but as BanksLB7 said - "If you are looking for a nice smooth ride, a truck with a GVWR of 10K+ pounds is not the vehicle you should be looking at."

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Show me a 1/2 ton that can pull 12k lbs and I'm all over it.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Did they fix the pump rub in the transfer case at any point, or is that still an issue?

Yes, IIRC, GM moved away from NP(New Process) transfer cases in 2007 and started using MP(Magna Powertrain)T-cases in 2008.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New Chevy half-ton can pull 12,000.
Yeah, and it'll be wore the hell out in short time when doing it on a regular basis.

I don't need or mean to start a debate on what truck I want/need.

I simply asked, for those who have had 2010 and older, or 2011 and newer, which truck rides better, or are they the same.

I suspect, based on the more rigid frame, and the better cab mounts, that the 2011 and up should ride better.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
Not to go off in left field, but you could have the best of both worlds by buying the 2500 or 3500 and replacing rear springs with 1500 springs and then adding air bags that you can inflate when you want to tow more than 12,000 lbs. Did that on a new 2005 3500 dually 4x4 and it was great. It was my old boss' truck and as you can guess, the air bags seldom saw air. But they were there if he wanted it. It also had an on board air compressor and storage tank all operated from inside the cab. Had Rancho 9000 shocks as well that were adjustable from in the cab.

So at the flick of a switch he could go from 1500 ride comfort to 3500 dually payload capacity. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Not to go off in left field, but you could have the best of both worlds by buying the 2500 or 3500 and replacing rear springs with 1500 springs and then adding air bags that you can inflate when you want to tow more than 12,000 lbs. Did that on a new 2005 3500 dually 4x4 and it was great. It was my old boss' truck and as you can guess, the air bags seldom saw air. But they were there if he wanted it. It also had an on board air compressor and storage tank all operated from inside the cab. Had Rancho 9000 shocks as well that were adjustable from in the cab.

So at the flick of a switch he could go from 1500 ride comfort to 3500 dually payload capacity. :thumb:
1500 leaf springs will not bolt in to a new HD. And how did you control axle wrap, wheel hop, and lateral loads?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeah, and it'll be wore the hell out in short time when doing it on a regular basis.

I don't need or mean to start a debate on what truck I want/need.

I simply asked, for those who have had 2010 and older, or 2011 and newer, which truck rides better, or are they the same.

I suspect, based on the more rigid frame, and the better cab mounts, that the 2011 and up should ride better.
I was just answering your earlier post where you said to show you a 1/2 ton that can pull 12K pounds and you would then buy it.

Show me a 1/2 ton that can pull 12k lbs and I'm all over it.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
1500 leaf springs will not bolt in to a new HD. And how did you control axle wrap, wheel hop, and lateral loads?
I have no idea. It rode like a dream. Before all that it hopped terribly with the factory OEM suspension. Many concrete freeways in SoCal create this "bounce" with empty trucks. It was just terrible, dangerous even. That was the real reason he asked me to "do something about this thing".

It was Deaver springs rated for a 1/2 ton. I paid RBP in Irvine, CA to do all the work. It was their idea and it worked great.

I have no idea what the new trucks are like, but imagine a reputable 4x shop could hook him up similarly.

My boss then got an 07 and RBP swapped everything over between the 05 to 07 and again, rode like a dream.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2007.5 2500 gasser and a 2016 Dually Duramax and I can tell you from experience that the Dually rides WAY better. It may be the extra weight, the longer wheelbase, or the newer frame, I don't know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts