Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was time to replace my box (due to leak and a lot of play), pump, pitman and idler arms. I have the wheels off and started on the idler arm but my puller won’t fit. Looks like I will need a pickle fork. Other than the pickle fork and a 1 5/16 wrench is there any other special tools needed? I did buy a power steering pump pulley remover and installer..

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
If you're replacing the gearbox, just leave the pitman arm on it and pull the whole thing out the wheel well. I just replaced all my steering bits, but not the pump or box. a HUGE adjustable wrench will do too. All my ball joints politely fell apart when I tapped them 90 off the axis of movement with a small ball peen hammer. I put the Cognito brace kit on. You might want to consider it. Their website has instructions for installing it that will tell you how to get the front end apart anyway, save for the tie-rod ends. Drives like butter now.

Roswell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. I will try the hammer of axis for the pitman and idler. I need to get them removed from the rod assy.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I actually had to use a pickle fork on the pitman where it connects to the center link, but the idler and outer tie rod ends came apart easily. So... Just in case, I didn't want to... steer you wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts