Diesel Place banner
181 - 200 of 234 Posts
Discussion starter · #182 ·
Hate to ask. But can you take a hidden side and do one half natural the other stained. I'd like to see the difference?
I don't know if I have any dark stain. Kind of a shame to hide natural walnut. With red oak I stain it with Maple to even the color and enhance the grain. This is all pretty even color.

I just wanted a before and after

Discussion starter · #184 ·
Last night I found some medium dark stain on my paint shelf and thought I'd try it on the underside of the console. I didn't think I would like the results.:eek: It seemed to highlight the grain and only even out the color of the different individual boards :thumb::thumb: So I stained the whole console.
Ready to start varnishing now.

Attachments

Reactions: turbonator
Gimme a moment. I just got a bit excited about how perty that looked. It looks quite nice. Did you finish it yet? Doesn't look too glossy. But rich in color

Discussion starter · #186 ·
Gimme a moment. I just got a bit excited about how perty that looked. It looks quite nice. Did you finish it yet? Doesn't look too glossy. But rich in color
That's just the stain. Satin Varnish is yet to come. That should give it a shine but not high gloss.

Discussion starter · #188 ·
:whistle: One coat of varnish done. I'll be sanding in between coats.

Attachments

Is it just me or did it darken it up more

Discussion starter · #190 ·
Is it just me or did it darken it up more
Yep, slightly darker. The flash on the camera and daylight coming in can change the color.
I plan to put on at least 3 coats of varnish. The directions recommends at least 3.

'00' steel wool is fine for between coats, it's just to scuff the surface, or 320 grit sandpaper. Any coarser and you'll likely see the sandpaper scratches in the final coat. And because there are less visible scratches in the final coat, actually gives it a glossier look. I think with the satin clear, it will make it look nicer.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #192 ·
'00' steel wool is fine for between coats, it's just to scuff the surface, or 320 grit sandpaper. Any coarser and you'll likely see the sandpaper scratches in the final coat. And because there are less visible scratches in the final coat, actually gives it a glossier look. I think with the satin clear, it will make it look nicer.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
The directions said to use 220 grit sandpaper.
I have used steel wool before. I think I'll wait to use that on the final coat prep for sure. It depends how smooth it gets.

Reactions: 1967KaiserM715
I like 000 steel. Wool

Discussion starter · #194 ·
2nd coat varnish

I sanded with a "Fine" sanding sponge then fine steel wool. I did have a few:eek: runs to scrape with a razor blade:rolleyes:
The pics are when it was wet yet. These were taken with no flash It dries slightly duller.

Attachments

Nice efforts. Wish you were local I'd love to see all your hard work on this beast

Discussion starter · #196 ·
3 coats of varnish done on most of it

I still have the other side of the separate parts to varnish yet. I got first coat on them after the pics. Also put a 4th coat on the cup holder and one side of the main console.
I'm very satisfied with how it's turning out :bounce:
I :scuffed between coats with 000 steel wool. It was just enough to dull the finish some.

Attachments

nice work, way to bring back something truly unique....J&J

Discussion starter · #200 ·
Here's a link to the "Before" pic http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/9520962-post149.html. It does look a bit better now.
I picked up some new brass continuous hinge to replace the crappy rusted steel hinges that were on it. I'm getting anxious to get this all back together and in the truck.

181 - 200 of 234 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.