Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought home new 08 ltz with reverse aid system and notice that when I get in and start it, it will more times than not say "reverse sensors disabled". I noticed this before I installed a factory dvd player but when it did it I had a trailer on the back and thought that was the reason. I have a reciever in now but it doesn't do it all the time. When the message is on and I push the button to turn them on the light just flickers. I can back up to a object and the sensors work and than the light and message will go off. There was no codes in the computer. I did hook up a vss wire to the green/white wire for turn by turn instuctions. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
I am guessing the tailgate is not down. Only thing that does it to me. Reciever has no problems for me.

Brian

·
Registered
339 Posts
If the trailer reciever is in it will affect the operation of the backup sensors.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The PARK ASSIST OFF message is displayed in the DIC when the object alarm system is disabled due to conditions that disable or inhibit the system. The red LED in the rear display, as well as, the telltale in the switch will be lit, notifying the driver the PARK ASSIST system is disabled. The object alarm module requests the DIC via the serial data circuit to display PARK ASSIST OFF when it detects that one of the following conditions is true:
• The object alarm system is disabled through DIC vehicle customization feature. Refer to the Owners Manual for more information.
• An object is attached to the rear of the vehicle, such as a trailer, bicycle rack, or hitch receiver.
• An object is hanging out of the endgate.
• The park brake is not fully released.
• The system receives vibrations from a large nearby vehicle or from a heavy equipment such as a jackhammer.​
In the case of objects attached to the rear of the vehicle such as a trailer, hitch receiver, or a bicycle rack, or objects hanging out of the endgate, the rear parking assist (RPA) will have an Automatic Object induced disable feature where the RPA will determine if the rear object is moving with the vehicle. If the RPA detects such a condition, the park assist will be disabled. The PARK ASSIST OFF message will continue to be displayed until the trailer hitch receiver is removed and the vehicle is driven forward above 24 km/h (15 mph).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I went out and tried again and the sensing wasn't working at all. Took out the reciever and it started working, put the reciever back in and it still works, Im gonna have to drive it around alittle without the reciever in to see what happens. I guess I wasted money on the system because I sure am not gonna take my reciever out every time. I hate always starting it up and seeing the "park assist off" on the display. ON EDIT I see your response above mine about moving with the vehicle, thats probably whats going on, sometimes its working and sometimes not. I haven't really done alot of long distance driving yet just short trips, have about 50 miles on it. It sure is fun to get on it though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Subject: Park Asisst Off Message On DIC - keywords assist hitch indicator inop inoperative message off park rear reese sensor ultra ultrasonic URPA #PIT4198A - (12/03/2007)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4198.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may state that the " Parking Assist Off" message is appearing on the Drivers Information Center (DIC) at times. If the vehicle has a trailer hitch and it is installed into the trailer hitch receiver, the rear park assist will disable the system until the trailer hitch is removed and the vehicle is driven forward above 15 MPH.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is normal operation of the system.

Note: Please note that any object that is installed in the receiver hitch or extending from the rear of the vehicle when the vehicle was last driven and the vehicle is shut off will disable the rear Park Assist until the object is removed and the vehicle is driven forward above 15 MPH.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So how is this feature supposed to help in backing up to a trailer?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Doesn't really help backing to a trailer my weight dist. hitch really disables mine right away.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well mine gets disabled for 2 days whenever I take it to a car wash. My guess is a problem with the wiring of one of the sensors (chaffing, plug leaking) or a faulty sensor. I'll wait till I get back from my fishing trip to have it fixed.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mine disables right away with the hitch in. Even without the hitch in the system sucks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If I have the ball section of my rapid hitch in, it doesn't work, but I can leave the section on that mounts to the truck. A rapid hitch looks like this:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine will deactivate if I leave any of my hitches in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts