Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some wheels that would allow the tires to fit on the truck without rubbing like crazy. I put the Hi-tec D-mud retread tires (285/75-r16) onto a set of american eagle 145 wheels. They had the closest offset to my welds for a reasonable price so I picked them up. Don't look half bad either, too bad they're my winter wheels and are going to get trashed. Oh well, that's what I got them for.

So far I've got 10 miles on them and they are LOUD I hear that they're suppose to quiet down a little after some more driving on them. Hopefully they will. Already the green diamond compound is showing on the tread blocks so next time I get on ice, which should be soon I'll find out how that stuff does.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mine are still pretty loud after a few thousand miles. Not sure if that comes from the tread pattern, or the compound, or what... Get out and find some snow/ice -- you'll forget about the noise.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Do you have pictures of the tread design? What do the retreads cost?

·
Registered
681 Posts
See High-tec-retreading.com

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max, they were around $460 to my door. Depends on your location though as far as the shipping cost. I'm kinda far away from SD so shipping was in the middle of their range. I'll sell you mine if you want them, not sure if I can deal with this noise. Although I haven't been in the snow with them yet, I should get to try them out this weekend in the snow.

I'll take some pics of the tread too. I guess I was just assuming that they'd be like my old BFG muds which really made no noise. This tread isn't too much different looking but apparently it is different enough to make 'em buzz.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I'm not really interseted just curious more then anything.

I don't know if I could trust a retread at 140mph. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahah, I wouldn't either. They look real strong but still, spinning one that fast would make me a little nervous.

How are the coopers doing?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I wouldn't be so worried about the tread flying off, as I would the casings failing under the retread. Those are fabric sidewall casings, and are not really designed to be retreaded. The are a single life casing. Fatigue is an issue. If you want to retread, then you should get 4 casings that are all steel in the sidewall and crown area. Those are Michelin XPS Rib and Traction, and Bridgestone makes a tire that is all steel I think. Goodyear used to, but I think they quit. Those are built more like Semi Truck tires, and can be retreaded very successfully. Good Luck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'll sell you mine if you want them, not sure if I can deal with this noise. Although I haven't been in the snow with them yet, I should get to try them out this weekend in the snow.
So, what's the verdict?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, what's the verdict?
I have some sound deadener on the way.

Oh how do they perform? so far compared to the same size yokohama Geolander AT these are definately different.

The Yokos have better traction in the wet on concrete than the retreads and they seem to have slightly better dry traction too. Part of it could be because I had the Yokohamas siped.

I got into the deepest snow I've been in so far this year with last weekend which coincidently was also the first weekend I got these retreads into snow. At first I was a little dissapointed how they pulled in 2wd then realized this truck weighs a little more than my jeep did. Overall they performed very well. Although I can't compare them to the Yokohamas because the Yokos had only seen ice all season as the roads have been plowed but icy. As soon as I get them onto some more slippery surfaces I'll report back with further information.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, I've got around 10k on my set of 235/85s now and thought it was time to do an update, and also to post the pics I promised you a few months ago :)o:). I've now driven them in hard packy snow, wet heavy snow, muddy spring break-up crap, dry gravel and dirt, and on wet pavement (took a while, doesn't rain a lot here). I have to agree that the dry and wet pavement traction is not as good as a normal tire. I'd attribute this to a combination of the extremely hard rubber compound and the little granules in the tread acting like spikes or studs... I think they're unbeatable on loose surfaces, but decreases contact patch size on hard surfaces to the detriment of traction. I have noticed no adverse effect on braking, just less traction on accelleration. The AT-D tread pattern seems good all-around, still somewhat noisy but not intolerable.

There is another pic here that I can't figure out how to get attached to this thread as well.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts