Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly considering a Retrax. For those that have owed one, how dry does you bed stay? In the rain, car wash. etc.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Rain is not an issue..... I have never got water in there, except for around the top of the tailgate... There needs to be anouther weather stipping there... Other than that... It is the driest cover I have had...

·
Registered
663 Posts
ISurvivedNMU said:
Rain is not an issue.....  I have never got water in there, except for around the top of the tailgate...  There needs to be anouther weather stipping there...  Other than that...  It is the driest cover I have had...
Dittos!
I had a Pace Edwards on my 98 and I used to get a little water in the bed along the sides as well as near the Tailgate (not bad though). With the RETRAX, the only place I have seen just a little water is near the Tailgate.

If you decide on the RETRAX, be sure to get the lock cover - it prevents the lock from freezing in the winter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the Retrax guys do my install at their office with a Gen III cover. My set is a little odd because I have a LB and a gullwing toolbox setup. Its been 7 weeks now since the install and through some pretty tough weather with no leaks. I was worried about the link between the toolbox and the Retrax but it is working great. It's a solid system. Good Luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Curby;

I am considering a Retrax and have a low profile toolbox (sticks up about 2"). I am planning on getting a 12V solenoid to operate the locks on the toolbox as the cover housing will obstruct the latches.

I had a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit and it was OK but I got a lot of water in the low gullies of the bed. I have heard the Retrax is superior.

How did you seal the toolbox to the bed and the Retrax to the toolbox?

I also found out that these covers create a negative pressure area in the bed, causing rain and road spray to be sucked in around the tailgate. I have seen several seals (Retrax also carries one) that are supposed to cure this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Guys.

I guess I need to pull the trigger on one.

Zeke, I have a tailgate seal. The one I have is the same one Retrax carries. It made a big difference in the dirt coming in mine. (I had a fiberglass cover on it until this weekend)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zeke

The guys at Retrax put on a regular Gen III cover with no modifications. We added to the toolbox an aluminum 2" x 2" angle that goes exactly from edge to edge of the bed. We attached that angle to the toolbox (silicon bead and self tapping screws) at the perfect level for the Retrax to set on it at the leading edge. This is essentially acting like the leading edge of the bed. There is a rubber seal that runs across the entire length of the leading edge forming a water-tight seal.

I took some rough pix this evening on a dirty truck. It will be until this weekend before I can get some better pix if you want them.

Curby

·
Registered
52 Posts
Curby;

Thanks for the writeup and pics! How did you seal the toolbox to the front of the bed? There is a small gap in mine there. I was thinking about silicone. Alternately I was thinking of having the Rhino guy spray my toolbox to blacken it and that would seal there as well. I just need to find a 12V solenoid to open the thing at that point (tying into the electric lock circuit).

Did you get a custom Retrax, cut the rails, or did a short bed one work?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Zeke

At the front of the bed I had some real thick 1.5 inch wide weather stripping all the way across. When we set the toolbox in place is set right down flush with enough compression for a good seal.

The Retrax is the full up Gen III top used for the short beds - and I very slightly modified the end rails so the tailgate can close and have about an eighth of an inch clearence. Used a dremel with a small grinder to notch the rails where the tailgate closes and then hit with a primer and black spray paint - looks factory. (I will post a pix this weekend).

The bed rails I got from Retrax also. I have Rhino in the bed and did not go over the rails. In retrospect, I could have put a thin Rhino (or Line-X) over the rails and it should work. A thick coating might make a tough install.

I will try to measure my toolbox width for you tomorrow. I am pretty sure it is 19 inches wide and that measurement will have a direct influence on the Retrax fit. If you call Retrax and give them your measurements - they will set you up with the proper length rails. Most of the toolboxes I looked at were 20+ inches wide and I kept looking until I found one at 19.

Let me know if you want more pix or data.

Curby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts