Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from two weeks in the Sierras. It was pretty cold (for California) as the lows were between -10 and 0 F. My latch was constantly frozen shut. Had to use a hairdryer to melt the ice inside the key hole and latch in order to open.

It was also a problem closing the latch and keeping it shut during the cold days and nights. A small amount of ice constantly covered part of the catch mechanism making it difficult to close securely. Also, the latch button was real sticky when cold and did not want to return to the locked position. It was a PITA when I didn't have something to defrost the latch when I needed to get something in or out.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this problem and was wondering if you folks that live in the real cold parts of this country can lend a hand.

Steve

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do you have the lock cover?. I couldn't find a picture but it covers the whole lock assy and has a flap that opens for access.

I didn't have one on mine at first and also had trouble with ICE, but the lock cover seems to keep it from freezing most of the time. I periodically use some graphite lock lube and also keep a little spray can of lock-deicer handy for both the retrax lock and the Pop-n-Lock on the tailgate handle. However, be careful not to get any deicer or other solvents on the Lexan cover - it can make the lexan brittle and crack.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jbplock said:
Do you have the lock cover?. I couldn't find a picture but it covers the whole lock assy and has a flap that opens for access.

I didn't have one on mine at first and also had trouble with ICE, but the lock cover seems to keep it from freezing most of the time. I periodically use some graphite lock lube and also keep a little spray can of lock-deicer handy for both the retrax lock and the Pop-n-Lock on the tailgate handle. However, be careful not to get any deicer or other solvents on the Lexan cover - it can make the lexan brittle and crack.

Mine did not come with the cover, but the guys at Retrax are shipping one out free of charge. Nice folks.

thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
109 Posts
We just had half an inch of freezing rain
I have a Retrax with the plastic latch cover and it opened right away.

After chipping the ice off of the cover, the cover opened fairly easily. Much better than the Roll-n-lock or Armor-roll that I had before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts