Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through pages of DIC info, but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

To get a more accurate MPG reading on the DIC, is it meant to be reset at each fill-up, or not? It would seem so, being that there is a reset option. But wasn't sure, and figured I'd ask the Gurus.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
[useless post]
wouldn't you loose any AVG MPG info across fillups if you did that?

[/useless post]

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't know, I would think so, that's why I asked. But when done by hand, we don't average the life of the truck, we go by each tank full.

The reason I ask, I see people talking about 14+ MPG with the 6.0, and I can't get more than 11.9. And I take it very easy on starts, and usually drive around 60-65MPH. I thought maybe they were resetting at each tank, to find the average for that particular tank full.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone?

*Crickets chirping*

·
Registered
220 Posts
I always reset mine. The DIC isn't 100% accurate though. I've seen a best of 15 MPG with the cruise on, during an interstate trip. When I fill up the tank I always reset the DIC average MPG totalizer. My average tank MPG is 11.8 or so between fillups. This is with combined town and highway driving, such as the commute to work, or to town running errands.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Do whatever you want. I sometimes reset on each fillup for a while and then I'll go a dozen fillups between resets. It's personal preference.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I reset at each fill up. Sometimes twice a day! :D

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, (most of you, lol), I could never get above 11.8 or so, I refilled, reset, hopped on the interstate, and was getting 13.7 and still climbing by the time I had to exit. Makes me feel a lot better, at least knowing I'm getting better mileage on highways than I thought. Thanks again for the replies.

Steve

·
Registered
430 Posts
That calculation does the averaging from the point of reset forward. In fact, if you reset it while you're driving, you'll notice it actually changing while you're adjusting your throttle. The longer you let it go before reset, the more data it's averaging, therefore it won't change much...giving you an overall average of fuel consumption, including idling (which will drive your average mpg down obviously). I have a 2006 LBZ. When I reset on the interstate, I can average 16-17 mpg...when I reset around town, the average will go down to 13-14 mpg. If you want your overall average across all your driving & idling, don't reset it over several fill-ups.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Since mine does not have the instant MPG. I have reset it on flat ground at different speeds to see what speed was the easiest on the fuel.. Mine is at about 55.. but it's Diesel. The like to run slow. One big advantage to the gassers, the best millage should be allot faster but this depends on tires engine and axial ratio.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I reset on each fill up. Its a game to see how high i can make it on each tank.

Since putting on my 265s bfgs my mileage has taken a dump. But i can still get 16-17 driving into work, which is pretty good considering some of the numbers i have seen posted. with the 245s my dic stayed in the 19s sometimes even 20s. But never hand calcd over 20 mpg. And was normally hand calcd around 18.5

·
Registered
69 Posts
I reset monthly. At the end of the month I tally up all the receipts and verify the mpg. It (DIC) is surprisingly accurate when run across the entire month. My drive is combined city/hwy about 50/50. I drive at around 75 - 80 on the Atlanta interstates and conservatively on surface streets. I get a monthly average of about 16.5.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My DIC has 4 different MPG calculations. Every-ones should be the same right?
1. Personal
2. Business
3. Average
4. Instantaneous

I use the personal for every tank and reset that mileage every fill up. Lately the DIC has been showing about 19 MPG for each tank while Hand calculated it's 18.1
I select Business "on" when I'm towing and have not reset it. This allows me to see how much of the mileage I drive is actually towing. So far its about 56% of the total mileage of the truck and DIC is showing 11 MPG for towing MPG. Have not hand calculated it, but that also seems about 1/2 mpg too high
Average has not been reset so it has averaged since I bought the truck and is showing 13.2 MPG. Have not actually gone through and hand calculated lifetime average.
Instantaneous is just that and the only way to change it is to change throttle position or go uphill or downhill.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mine doesn't have instantaneous. :-( And they changed the names from personal/business to A/B.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts